Checking AT fluid level - leave engine running or not?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

slavabon

Checking AT fluid level - leave engine running or not?

Postby slavabon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Guys, what is the correct way to do this (it has been a while) - do I leave the engine running or not when checking AT fluid level?
Thanks!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Yes. Engine at operating temp and running is the best way to check your transmission fluid level.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:37 pm

...and on a level surface, obviously!

shanti.vt1

Postby shanti.vt1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Hello,

I did not want to start another thread. But today I checked my transfluid and I noticed some tiny metal pieces at the end of the dip stick.

Should I be worried or just trans fluid changed quickly.

I also called the nissan dealship close by and they want 260 bucks to change the trans fluid.

Is it okay if I take it to MR lube or Mobile 1 ?

Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:20 pm

If the vehicle is under warranty, I would definitely have it checked by a dealer. If not, a service wouldn't be a bad idea, but if these "pieces" are substantial in size, it could be the sign of an internal hard part breaking down, especially if what you describe as "pieces" is a roller from a thrust bearing. Metal shavings do sometimes occur from normal wear and tear and will usually fall to the bottom of the pan where they will stick to the magnet.

As far as the service, you can take it to an independant shop, if you wish, as opposed to a dealer. Make sure they service it with an ATF that is recommended for use in Nissan Type "J" or "S" applications. It's really not that difficult to do yourself and you could save yourself a lot of money; it's actually easier than doing an oil and filter change. All you need is a drain pan that can hold a gallon of waste oil, a 19MM (or 3/4") box wrench (longer the better, for more leverage). You'll also need a transmission funnel. You'll need a new drain plug washer; you can get one from Nissan (Nissan P/N: 11128-01M0B) or from your local auto parts store (Size: M12-1.25). You'll also need 4 quarts of ATF. If you want the genuine Nissan ATF, you can go to your local dealer and pick up 4 quarts of Nissan Type "S" ATF for around $9/quart. Personally, I go to Advance Auto Parts and get a 1-gallon jug of Valvoline Maxlife ATF for around $18. ANother ATF that will work and can usually be found in your local Walmart or auto parts store is Castrol Multi-Import ATF, which runs about $6.50/quart.

Take a short drive to get the fluid warm and park it. The Pathfinder is high enough that you may not even need to jack it up, depending on your size. If you do, make sure you support it with jackstands for safety's sake. Take out the 19MM drain plug and drain the old ATF into the pan. I use a razor blade to help get the old drain plug gasket off. Install the new gasket onto the drain plug and reinstall when the ATF is done draining. Dispose of the old ATF responsibly (many auto repair shops or even Walmarts with auto centers will take your old oil). Remove the dipstick and insert the trans funnel. Most need just a little under 4 quarts, so pour in approx. 3-3/4 quarts. Start the vehicle, let it run for a few minutes, remove the funnel and check the level with the dipstick. Top off the ATF as needed and make sure there is no leak from the drain plug. That's it!

shanti.vt1

Postby shanti.vt1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks smj999smj,

Thanks for taking time and explaining it. I may just do it my self. Also the metal pieces were shavings, not little or big chucks.

thanks again... :)

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Shanti

I just did it myself on my 06. Very easy to do. I went with the Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

yellowbug

Postby yellowbug » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 pm

If your going to change the fluid mine as well change the filter and clean the magnets in the pan also. This will help you get an idea of what all is in there and maybe get a pic for us.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:20 pm

yellowbug wrote:If your going to change the fluid mine as well change the filter and clean the magnets in the pan also. This will help you get an idea of what all is in there and maybe get a pic for us.
There is no filter to change, so there's no sense in dropping the pan.

shanti.vt1

Postby shanti.vt1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 pm

dawgn86 wrote:Shanti

I just did it myself on my 06. Very easy to do. I went with the Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
HI Dawgn86,

where can I pick that up. I live in Canada and we have Canadian Tire and also walmart...

thanks

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Not sure about Walmart in Canada, but here in the U.S. you can buy valvoline at Walmart

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Some Walmarts in Canada carry Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the 5L jugs. If your local one doesn't carry it, perhaps you can see if you can order it online to pick up at the store?...Just a thought! If they don't have the Maxlife ATF, see if they have Castrol Multi-import ATF. Castrol makes Nissan Type "S" ATF in North America and, from what I hear, it's the same thing. I know Amazon.com sells Valvoline Maxlife ATF in 12 quart cases for about $72.

shanti.vt1

Postby shanti.vt1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:10 am

smj999smj wrote:Some Walmarts in Canada carry Valvoline Maxlife ATF in the 5L jugs. If your local one doesn't carry it, perhaps you can see if you can order it online to pick up at the store?...Just a thought! If they don't have the Maxlife ATF, see if they have Castrol Multi-import ATF. Castrol makes Nissan Type "S" ATF in North America and, from what I hear, it's the same thing. I know Amazon.com sells Valvoline Maxlife ATF in 12 quart cases for about $72.
hello, I found one at a local Walmart should 1 5L jug be enough to change my transmission fluid ?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Should be plenty. When I replace mine, whether it be the AWD LE or 4X4 SE, the refill ammount is just under 4 quarts (US).

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”