2006 PF SE Tire Pressure Sensor

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

rannunziato

2006 PF SE Tire Pressure Sensor

Postby rannunziato » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:49 am

Question is, how easy is it to replace the battery inside the tire pressure monitoring system? 2006 PF SE, 4wd, V6, 4.0L Auto., with 114K miles and low tire pressure light is on. Just replaced the tires and all are good on air. Thinking it has to be the sensor battery, right?

Please advise and thanks in advance

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:22 am

You would have to retrieve the stored trouble code(s) to determine if it's a battery or not. They tend to last about 6 or seven years, so if one battery is low, it's likely the others aren't far behind. The problem is that the battery in the TPMS sensors are not serviceable, so you have to replace the whole sensor/tire valve assy. and then have it initialized. Genuine Nissan sensors runs about $70-$80 each. Rockauto.com has Dorman TPMS sensors for $50 each.

rannunziato

TPMS DYI?

Postby rannunziato » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:17 am

Thank you for the information. Is this a job I can do myself? or does it involve/require specific "shop" tools?

Thank you,

rannunziato

06 PF TPMS, which one is bad?

Postby rannunziato » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 am

So, my mechanic tells me that he doesn't have the scan equip necessary to determine which sensor is bad. Tells me to take it to Nissan, (sounds expensive)....so what are my options now? I would like to take the TPMS system offline or unplug the dash bulb but mechanic also says this is impossible....to integrated...

Please advise

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: 06 PF TPMS, which one is bad?

Postby NVSteve » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 am

rannunziato wrote:So, my mechanic tells me that he doesn't have the scan equip necessary to determine which sensor is bad. Tells me to take it to Nissan, (sounds expensive)....so what are my options now? I would like to take the TPMS system offline or unplug the dash bulb but mechanic also says this is impossible....to integrated...

Please advise
If you have a Discount Tire in your area, they have the equipment to check the TPMS units. I would imagine most good tire stores would be able to do the same. They can also replace them for you, but not sure on the cost in your area.

Cheapest fix is to remove the dash so you can get into your instrument cluster & put a piece of black tape over the TPMS warning light.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Disabling the TPMS system is a federal offense and also may give you problems passing state inspection. It's also a liabilty issue. It's no different, liability-wise, than disabling an air bag system. A good scantool can get the code(s), but to "wake-up" and intialize TPMS sensors, you need special equipment to do so. As mentioned, check with your local tire stores or worst case, you'll need to go to a dealer. Replacing the sensor, itself, requires breaking down the tire from the wheel and replacing the tire valve/sensor assy.

Tzvier

Re: 06 PF TPMS, which one is bad?

Postby Tzvier » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 am

NVSteve wrote:
If you have a Discount Tire in your area, they have the equipment to check the TPMS units.
This. Their units are around $50-60 each iirc. But they checked mine for free.

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:16 am

I had a Nissan dealer check mine out because I was losing air in a couple of mine. They checked I was losing air out of the valve so they replaced one of the sensors and it ended up costing me about 300 for that job. Now i have another one that is leaking, this time I will NOT take it to the nissan dealer because they rip me off, instead I will shop around for a better deal in my area. Maybe like a NTB or something. not sure how much they charge.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:00 pm

If it's just leaking, you usually don't need to replace the sensor. Most auto parts stores have valve service kits for TPMS sensors. You can get them for under $10.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/ ... 4AodDwwAgQ

Earceile

Postby Earceile » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:13 am

Sorry for bumping...

I really like the TPM feature and usually have that read out on the RID. But if it's gonna cost $280 to replace the pair when the batteries die I will opt for a good $10 air gauge.

All the best, MechanicGuides TMPS
Last edited by Earceile on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:43 pm

FYI, I've had Discount Tire replace the sensors on new vehicles before, but never reset the light. They do sell replacements though.

If you're looking for the TPMS to 'talk' to the vehicle again, please watch this -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOaoFCSVtQ8

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:50 pm

Any good tire shop will have the system to tell u which wheel's TPMS is a "goner"
The fee for this should be nominal.

The reason this sometimes cost a lot of $$ is the dismounting and re mounting and rebalancing of the tire thats needed to replace the TPMS.

I had this issue for a while and I decided to just wait until I replaced my tires.. so the labor for dismount/remount /balancing was free since it needed to be done anyway.

It was both of my fronts that were "bad" so I just had all 4 done while I was doing all 4 tires.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”