I by-passed my in radiator tranny cooler

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jr.nitro

Postby jr.nitro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:00 pm

This happens on Pathfinder with YD25 engine too?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:10 am

I'm guessing the YD25 is the Diesel motor right? I would make the rash guess that the radiator is the same, presuming you do have the automatic transmission, and therefore is likely to have the same problems.

shanti.vt1

Postby shanti.vt1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Guys,

I changed my Transmission fluid today on my 2005 Pathfinder, with 118000KM on it.

I noticed that the fluid was not red but blended red color. Should I be worried.

Should I take my fluid to a Nissan dealship and get them to take a look ? or take it to a 3rd party transmission place to get an opinion.

One more thing is not a milky color in anyway, just an off red color.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 pm

It never hurts to get a professional opinion, but coolant or water contamination in oil will appear as white streaks (initially) and eventually turn into a custard-like paste.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Did my 2010 this week with 49k on the clock. Not sure if it would ever fail otherwise, but considering the warranty extension is for 2010 as well, i did not want to find out. I decided not too wait too long, since I'm not a big fan of remanufactured transmissions either - even if its covered by warranty.
Whey I by-passed my old 06, it was piece of cake. 2010 was more involved. Adding extrac hose (which you have to do for 08+ models) creates too many connections in the system, with more chances of something leaking somewhere. I ended up removing hoses going into a radiator and bypassed everything with one piece of 5/16 transmission line hose clamped up to the lines that were originally connected to smaller factrory hoses going into a radiator. This set up eliminated 3 connections out of the system (well, actually 4, since barb hose connector in the middle requires two clamps to connect hoses going to the radiator).

Rotorian

Beware of bypass and long drives.

Postby Rotorian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:58 am

Gents, I performed the bypass and my first long road trip the xmission started shaking. This was at about 3 hours of straight driving at highway speeds.

In city driving and 1 hour drives the transmission is flawless.

So, if you do the bypass, and take long road trips, the external is not good enough.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Beware of bypass and long drives.

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:08 am

Rotorian wrote:Gents, I performed the bypass and my first long road trip the xmission started shaking. This was at about 3 hours of straight driving at highway speeds.

So, if you do the bypass, and take long road trips, the external is not good enough.
the external cooler, under nearly all circumstances, is sufficient
we all know this
i think you have something else going wrong
assuming it is your transmission that is shaking, have you double checked the fluid level & condition?
what kind of fluid is in it?

Rotorian

Postby Rotorian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 am

eieio wrote:
Rotorian wrote:Gents, I performed the bypass and my first long road trip the xmission started shaking. This was at about 3 hours of straight driving at highway speeds.

the external cooler, under nearly all circumstances, is sufficient
we all know this
i think you have something else going wrong
assuming it is your transmission that is shaking, have you double checked the fluid level & condition?
what kind of fluid is in it?
Valvoline MAXLI. It was a drain and fill by local mechanic. The fluid is fine, maybe even a tad over...but I checked without the car running. The fluid is clean from top.

Maybe I need to do another drain and fill?

Like I said, in city driving and 1 hr drives it is fine. Twice I hit the 3 hour mark and she kept trembling when I let off the gas. The next day everything was fine, after both drives. Havent had a problem since, but havent been on any more long road trips. Although I do have one coming.

thetrance

Postby thetrance » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:42 am

eieio wrote: the external cooler, under nearly all circumstances, is sufficient
we all know this
can you please post your transmission temps after the bypass

Rotorian

Postby Rotorian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:51 am

thetrance wrote:
eieio wrote: the external cooler, under nearly all circumstances, is sufficient
we all know this
can you please post your transmission temps after the bypass
If you are asking me, I have no idea. however there was a post around these forums or even this thread that showed the xmission temp to be 220 after the bypass. Never though anything of it. However, must guys I've talked to say anything above 180 is asking for trouble??

Is there a way to ck xmission temp? besides rigging up something? I dont see such animal on my '05.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

Highway driving should not be a problem with overheating, since your external cooler is most efficient here, with all the air going through it. Unless, of course you are towing something up the hill, adding more load. This is the first time I'm hearing of any immediate issues as a result of the bypass. Since your fluid level is good (overfill is not good either by the way), could it be something else? Is that fluid you poured in compatible with Nissan transmissions? What are the symptoms - jerking when you release the gas while on the highway? In case your tranny is slightly overfilled, the fluid will expand even more when hot, possibly creating shifting problems.

Rotorian

Postby Rotorian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

slavabon wrote:Highway driving should not be a problem with overheating, since your external cooler is most efficient here. Unless, of course you are towing something up the hill, adding more load. This is the first time I'm hearing of any immediate issues as a result of the bypass. Since your fluid level is good (overfill is not good either by the way), could it be something else? Is that fluid you poured in compatible with Nissan transmissions? What are the symptoms - jerking when you release the gas while on the highway?
I did not pour the fluid, the shop did.

They sympton is: After about 3 hrs of highway driving when decelerating whether via CC or letting off the gass, the frame trembles. I feel it under my arse and so does the front pax. The steering wheel does not shake.

I did the bypass right before Christmas, then Christmas trip is when this happened. It was a 325 mile trip about 25 miles from destination it started happening. Since them I've searched high and low for possible problem.

The only thing I did prior to this starting was the bypass. The service had been done in Jan of last year. So not sure it would be a fluid thing. The trembling did not start until December.

Again, it has not done it since, but I have not been on the highway for that extended period of time. 1hr tops since.

Edit: It is an '05SE with 125k miles 4x4.

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Wow, my thoughts on the reliability of the Pathfinder have been shot to shit! Anyways, I read the first 10 pages and will be doing the bypass tomorrow. My question is, which has been asked and discussed only a couple times that I saw, once symptoms of "shuddering" have appeared while driving, does this mean the trans isn't salvageable?

Basically can I have hope that with a flush, new rad and the bypass that the trans will be ok? Or is it a crap shoot? The consensus seems to be if you have symptoms while driving, it's too late to save the trans? Apparently my wife has driven almost 3 weeks before telling me something was wrong. Just curious.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Start with easy things - check to confirm mixing (radiator cap, rad expansion tank, tranny dipstick). Once you confirmed you have this problem, replace your radiator and do the flush. If its not too far gone, you should be ok.
What is your mileage? If you're under 80k, it's covered. You can also trade the sucker in while its still drivable, if you don't feel like fixing it.

daxnizmo

Postby daxnizmo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:25 pm

I have 138K miles. I did the bypass and had the trans flushed. All shuddering and hard shifts are gone....for now. I hope I caught it in time. The radiator and thermostat is next to replace.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”