Stop leak products

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nutbar78

Stop leak products

Postby nutbar78 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Anybody use thes types of products? Like the Bars Leak, or AC Delco Stop Leak tabs or the powder types? I have a small leak on one of the coolant lines to the back heater core and I was thinking about trying one of the products. Opinions?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Personally, I would prefer to fix the leaks. As far as stop leaks, most of them work for small leaks but big leaks can be a differant story. Most of them usually provide a temporary fix and how long that will last is anybody's guess. Radiator shops used to hate them because they stick to everything in the cooling system and would make repairing radiators (something that is not done much today as it used to be) a messy job. The "silver solder" or silver powder type stop leak is not too bad. As far as the "rabbit pellets in a jar looking" Barrs Leak, it will turn your coolant brown and make it look like there's oil in it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:56 am

On any imports, my opinion is its better to fix the leak.

However, I've driven a couple GM products (a 90 Lumina with 3.1 and a 2000 Grand Prix with 3800 Series II) and both benefited from the use of the Stop Leak Tabs you can buy directly from the dealer for $5. They are composed of walnut shells, ginger root, and some other weird stuff. Sounds weird, but I've heard they use these at the factory when their casting porosity gets to be an issue.

Have also had some good luck with Lucas Power Steering stop leak on the Grand Prix. Stopped leaking and solved the PS Pump noise issue I was having.

Another great reason to buy a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota. If you told one of their engineers to start doing this in their factory, they'd probably choke.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot about those GM tablets! Crush them up and they look like dirt and pour them into the radiator! Mechanics used to joke in the shop, "Take two tablets and call me in the morning!" They did work, though..

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Yeah I've heard about the powder types, I really don't want to spend a lot in fixing this leak so I figure first I'll spend the ten bucks and try one of these quick fixes. If it doesn't work then we'll see.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:35 pm

i'd fix the leak
i've only used stop leak as a temporary measure (band aid)
stop leak may work, but it may only work temporarily, and then what happens if the minor leak suddenly bursts?

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:10 pm

You are right but I don't really have the money to have it fixed right now so I need something to stop the drip.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 pm

nutbar78 wrote:You are right but I don't really have the money to have it fixed right now so I need something to stop the drip.
can you see the actual leak?
can you replace the section of the line where the leak is?

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:31 pm

I think the leak is hidden actually. It's not easily visible either way.

So I decided to try the "silver" solder powder stuff and I think it's worked. I don't smell coolant and don't see anything on the frame where I used to see moisture. Hopefully it holds strong.....

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”