Time for new Shocks and Struts

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:51 am

Getting the Bilstein HDs will they give you any kind of lift or will it leave the vehicle at its normal height? thanks..

Also on those two kits referenced above did you have to have a professional install them? or did you do it yourself?

Baedarlboo

Postby Baedarlboo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Citcope wrote:Getting the Bilstein HDs will they give you any kind of lift or will it leave the vehicle at its normal height? thanks..

Also on those two kits referenced above did you have to have a professional install them? or did you do it yourself?
Bilsteins are shocks only and will not effect ride height.

Depending on how confident you are with yourself, shocks and struts aren't hard.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Citcope,

I see you're in Northern VA. I had my original lift kit installed by High-Tech Auto and Truck (http://www.hightechautoandtruck.com/) in Chantilly, but installed my coilovers myself. I recommend them if you don't feel like installing the shocks yourself.

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:56 pm

thanks guys. Yeah i am confident in working on my Path just not confident in getting rusted parts off since i have over 100,000k on it and its been through enough northeast winters...

I am thinking on one of the kits in the above posts just need to call around to see on prices for the install of the coil overs.

Blue, Do you know if they will also make sure that the wheels are aligned as well afterwards and there is no issue with camber? Thanks.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Citcope wrote:thanks guys. Yeah i am confident in working on my Path just not confident in getting rusted parts off since i have over 100,000k on it and its been through enough northeast winters...

I am thinking on one of the kits in the above posts just need to call around to see on prices for the install of the coil overs.

Blue, Do you know if they will also make sure that the wheels are aligned as well afterwards and there is no issue with camber? Thanks.
Yes... They'll do an alignment after installing the kit. Also, This is the only shop in the area that I trust to do an alignment on my Pathfinder.

Baedarlboo

Postby Baedarlboo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Letting bolts soak in PB Blaster for a few hours usually works for me, if that doesn't do it, I take the torch to it and it works everytime. lol :D

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:37 pm

goblue90 wrote: Yes... They'll do an alignment after installing the kit. Also, This is the only shop in the area that I trust to do an alignment on my Pathfinder.
Did you buy your kit from them? Just curious on how much it cost?

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Fri May 11, 2012 10:37 am

Just ordered Bilstein 5100 Part# 24-187053 for the front of my 05 LE 4x4. Hope this goes well :oops:

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Mon May 14, 2012 8:40 pm

+1 for Bilstein HD's they are amazing. its the best ride now can these things ust eat up the bumps in the road.

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Wed May 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Just got my shocks, they look a little longer when I try to put them side by side in the wheel well, but it seems like it fits, a little bit of a bad angle. Only way to find out is when I take off the strut tower :). Have not heard anything bad about installing these though so it should be fine.

bpc2646

Re: Side to side wobble

Postby bpc2646 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:19 pm

khaosduke wrote:Good thing I found this thread, I have an 05 pathfinder LE and have the same the problem, I get a side to side wobble on the highways if I hit a bump with the same exact feeling as previously described; also the ride is really harsh, but the ride was always really harsh it's just something I accepted when I got the truck (brand new). It has 47k miles on it now but I feel like changing the rear struts would be a good idea. It almost feels as if the rear screws up the front because as you take off from the bump the front holds steady but the rear throws everything out of whack.

I had the dealer look at it and they said there was nothing wrong at all with the suspension. Would you guys still recommend changing at least the rears? And the consensus seems to be the bilstein HD's ....
I'm experiencing a similar, if not the same, problem on an '08 S 4x4 PF. It's got 130k now so I'm thinking a suspension overhaul is needed. Who has experienced this problem and how have they solved it??? The PF hits bumps and if speed is low enough the back end will just bob up and down. When I hit frost heaves or any bump on the highway (all over the place here in New England (RI), the back end of the PF shakes, jumps around and I feel like I might lose control of the truck. The steering wheel violently shakes back and forth and the whole vehicle sways around and shudders. It's my sisters truck, some if you may have seen my other posts, so I had no idea it did this until it happened today on the highway and scare the crap out of me. Sure enough I asked and she has experienced this and has been to the dealer several times and they say nothing is wrong. I even saw a receipt staying so. What's going on and how do I solve this??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:52 pm

R51's in general are a bit "unsettled" on rough roads. Bilstein HD's or Monroe Reflex shocks in the rear would be my first recommendation. If you want to take it a step further, go with a set of Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear, as well.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”