Rear view mirror-POWER

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Mr Mayor

Rear view mirror-POWER

Postby Mr Mayor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:08 am

Mornign gang, heading out at lunch to hard-wire my radar detector using the Mirror power....

The included instructions show a plug not of my vehicle but hey, power, ground, etc, I get it.... or do I?

3 wires total go to mirror (Looks the same as my 08 mirror, but never checked the plug)

1 black wire
1 white wire
1 green wire

So black is likely ground, that's fine, the adapter only needs power now, so, is that the WHITE wire?

((OH, here's part of the kit... http://www.mirrortap.com/ , I'm hardwiring my 8500 Passport))

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Ok Skip it, I got it to work... It's constant power, but since I unplug and hide my radar detector each use, I'm not concerned.

First, while a tad pricey to mount a radar detector, I admit, this MirrorTap and http://www.blendmount.com/ kit was by far the best solution for me. It's the mount, and maybe 5 inches of wire TOTAL.... In the old '08 Path I found it easy to Velcro up close to the windshield and run the "remote" kit back to the rear view mirror but in this truck, it simply wasn't feasible and I wasn't about to start hacking away anyway.

Pics will be later, as a write up simply isn't needed. Their are ALOT of adjustments I went through to get it just right, and maybe more to come, who know's? But it was really simple otherwise... Hey, I did this on my lunch hour outside my office with enough time to walk for sushi around the bend.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Pictures of the hard mount? Also what brand do you use? I use a Rocky Mountain Radar, RMR-450

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:48 am

Original pics came out terrible, will retake and post.

Mount- Blendmount
Wiring - Mirrortap
Radar - Passport 8500i- red
Cologne - Axe Fire something.... :mrgreen:

MM

Return to “R52 Electrical”