Complete detail

Let's go, Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars...Fight!

Moderator: volvite

macbell7

Complete detail

Postby macbell7 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:48 am

I have been doing some research online at autopia.org on detailing my cars and I have always been interested on using a buffer but just never took the plunge. I've done everything as far as claying and hand polishing so I know what I'm doing. Granted my paint does not need a lot of work or buffing, I just want to get a step ahead before it requires paint correction. I like to keep the paint on my vehicles looking clean so I am going to start messing around with a buffer. Im looking at the Porter Cable 7424 since it seems to be the most user-friendly for beginners. Anybody else on here have any experience with using a buffer ?
I'm gonna load up on supplies from autogeek.com since they have alot of professional supplies.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 am

Just watch the corners, edges and style lines when you do it. if you sit on these spots too long you will burn right through the paint. there is such little surface area there that it heats up super fast so you have to keep it moving. use the cloth head to start (if you have any scratches or weathered paint) until you have the paint where you like it. then use a foam head with polishing compound to get that showroom shine.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:11 am

the one that your looking at is an orbital buffer right? if so then while it is recommenced to keep moving these dont burn your paint like the old circular buffers did. these move the head in different directions as apposed to just in the same circle so they dont heat up the surface as much. they are one of the best and most used buffer in the industry today and you will love your purchase

Jslatts

Postby Jslatts » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:46 pm

I have a detailing business and I use a porter cable 7424xp as well as a dewalt (forget model) dewalt works better for removing scratches but is much more dangrous if you dont know what you are doing. PC Is much more user friendly and can take out minor scratches/swirl marks.

The PC mixed with Adam's Polishes products works wonders. I use my PC for most customer cars, unless the car is pretty beat up then i pull out the dewalt.

Ive been detailing for about 5years now (last 2 operating my own business) and ive used makita, DeWalt and porter cable buffers. The PC Is the easiest and most user friendly to use out of all the buffers ive used.

Make sure you get quality buffer pads and products. If you have any questions feel free to ask and ill do my best to help out or post a new topic and im sure here are tons of detailing experts on here who can help out better than i can

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:45 am

i wrote this up a while back. the buffer is still going strong and for the price i think its way more worth it. once you get good and serious about it move up to the PC

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ght=buffer

Return to “Detailing Details”