A 95 Tranny control solonoid question

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

TheRude1

A 95 Tranny control solonoid question

Postby TheRude1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Early 95 3.0 4x4 120K

40 to 55 on flat road all is good in OD but put the smallest bit of a load and it starts to jump from D to OD, hit the button to D and it's fine less the rpms or just give it more gas and it accelerates and shifts to OD.
Other wise no problems, shifts smooth and feels fine

Fluid was a little dark when I got it but did not smell burnt.
After purchase about 5K ago I used a suction gun and pulled a gallon out and replaced it with fresh. Looks good still with no burnt smell

So sounds like I need a control solonoid ? I'm guessen ?

If so I'm also guessen its under the pan ?

And how do I know if I have a "lock up TCC" ?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Solenoids are sold together as a "solenoid pack" or "Solenoid assembly" and run about $400 from Nissan. They are on the valve body, which needs to be removed in order to replace them (so, "yes," it's under the pan). Also, "yes," you do have a lock-up torque converter.

That out of the way, it's hard to say if you need a solenoid or not based on your information. In a symptom chart, like one you would find in the service manual, there are four "drives." "D4" would be your overdrive and "D3" would be third gear, and do on. Without experiencing what you are, it makes it difficult to know if you are feeling it dropping from D4 to D3 as load engages, if the trans is slipping or if you are feeling the lock-up disengage. I would suggest you get a Nissan Service Manual for your truck and go through the auto trans self-diagnostic test to see if there are any stored codes. Concidering the high cost of the solenoids, I would suggest you have it checked by a reputable transmission shop rather than guess at a several hundred dollar part.

TheRude1

Postby TheRude1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info

Some more info:
No slipage it will just down shift like you gave it half throttle to pass someone then up shift and then down shift. With no pedal movement and in cruise control
I give it the gas(moderately) and it will accelerate and she will up shift just fine and down the road I we go

Vacume leak ?
Now that I think about it I had'nt thought about that

Seems the solonoid pack can be an issue so I was just figuren ?

TheRude1

Postby TheRude1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Went to a local recycling yard and found a rolled 95

And it still had the owners manual packet in it

According to the manual if what I described occurs to hit the button and take it out of D4. Seems normal :?

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”