COLD START PROBLEM

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

sauliuks

COLD START PROBLEM

Postby sauliuks » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:21 am

HI,MY 2005 2.5 PATHFINDER HARD TO START IN THE MORNING,GLOW PLUGS OK,RELAY OK,FUSES OK,NOT SURE WHICH FUSE FOR GLOW PLUGS.SUSPECT TEMPERATURE SENSOR,HOW TEST IT AND WHERE IT IS? PLEASE HELP

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 pm

sure your battery is also up to par? when's the last time it was replaced?

in general i've found the first culprit in hard/slow starts is the battery (at least in gas engines)

sauliuks

Postby sauliuks » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:58 am

battery ok 100%,looks like no power to glow plugs

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:11 pm

I had a 1980 VW diesel Rabbit that had a rather heavy terminal block mounted on the firewall. Once had to tighten the nuts holding the link. A lot of current flows thru to the plugs, so any corrosion or looseness will essentially not allow the plugs to heat up.

Not sure if this is the way Nissan Europe does things in recent years…

RobG

Postby RobG » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:57 am

Hi, do you have an update yet for this problem as I have EXACTLY the same issue.

As the weather started to get colder my Pathy took longer and longer to start (currently takes 10-20 cranks to get started). It had a new battery 10 months ago and new glow plugs last month. I don't have the equipment to test for volt dropage or the like but on searching tinternet I'm steering towards a faulty engine coolant temp sensor.

When it stops raining i'm going to try the direct connection from battery positive terminal to glow plug rail to bypass all sensors and relays and see if she starts (unless advised not to :/ )

cheers,

Rob (UK)

RobG

Postby RobG » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:00 am

I just want to bump this up again as I'm STILL having issues cold starting (not even cold in fact, I'm talking anywhere between -5'C to 10'C).

So far I've replaced the glow plugs - no difference
New battery, Varta Silver Dynamic E44, 77Ah, 780 Cold Cranking amps
Fuel Filter - as when it did eventually start the revs were hunting

The new fuel filter made a slight difference as it now starts 2nd time if i'm lucky although this morning after a short run (1/2 mile drive) to price a job it wouldn't start again until after about 10 attempts (very embarrassing when sitting on customers drive). The rev hunting got slightly better but not entirely perfect even after warmed up.

It's been in for diagnostics with nothing found. I'm losing the will to live with this bloody truck now.

Any more ideas guys before I start tearing my hair out and running down the street naked with a pan on my head?

I'm thinking throttle valve, injectors, fuel pump, MAF and all sorts of other nightmarishly expensive things.

Cheers.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:13 am

Try some fuel conditioner.

RobG

Postby RobG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am

Thanks Disallow, conditioner was added when the fuel filter was changed. I've also got some STP injector cleaner for next tank fill.

Will report how that goes, however today she's behaved perfectly and we had snow overnight too!

Return to “R51 Electrical”