Radiator part number

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

admiral

Radiator part number

Postby admiral » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:40 am

What is the part number for the Nissan Pathfinder radiator that fails, and what is the number for the updated one?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am

Most people have reported this one: 21460-EA215

I just replaced that part number radiator on mine the other day with a 21460-9CA0E. I ordered it from Courtesy Nissan a couple weeks ago and it looked absolutely identical in every way to the original....hopefully whatever the internal problem was has been fixed.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:01 am

Some have also reported the number "21460-EA265" on their tank, but that number doesn't show up in the parts catalog. Only listed number is the "-EA215" which supercedes to the "-9CA0E" number. I would go with an aftermarket radiator, personally, and save a few hundred dollars!

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 am

So, the EA265 numbered radiator is a problem radiator as well? Well, I will be replacing mine with an aftermarket Spectra radiator. I need to have that Oil to Water Trans Cooler come summer.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:30 am

One thing I'm not clear on is if the 2008+ have a different number...which could explain why mine (a 2008) was shipped 21460-9CA0E and the 21460-EA265 is for 2005-2007. But if what smj999smj noted is correct for all years (that 21460-EA265 no longer exists)....that seems weird too. It's clear the 2008+ is a slightly different radiator (placement of bottom lins) so I'm not sure how that part # would cover all years. That is the same problem I had when shopping aftermarket radiators...they all showed the same part # for 2005-2012.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm not sure if it's a matter of the number no longer exists or that the number is an engineering number from Calsonic, the maker of the radiator. Sometimes the part manufacturer's engineering number mirror's the vehicle manufacturer's part number, sometimes they don't. Why the different engineering numbers, I can't say; part numbering systems aren't always public information. That said, usually a Nissan part number that is replaced or superceded will still be listed in the Nissan part's catalog with the note that it has been "replaced" or "superceded." The "-EA265" part number is not even listed in the Nissan part's catalog and that number appears on a Calsonic label, which is why I suspect that it might be an engineering number.

Samech

Re: Radiator part number

Postby Samech » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:57 pm

admiral wrote:What is the part number for the Nissan Pathfinder radiator that fails, and what is the number for aftermarket parts the updated one?
Have you got the part number or still searching?

admiral

Re: Radiator part number

Postby admiral » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:55 pm

Samech wrote:
admiral wrote:What is the part number for the Nissan Pathfinder radiator that fails, and what is the number for aftermarket parts the updated one?
Have you got the part number or still searching?

Still searching, also what aftermarket radiator would be good. I have noticed single and double fin. Some with engine oil coolers and some without. This is confusing. Lol

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Many of those who have replaced the radiator and opted to go aftermarket have gone with the Canadian-made Spectra Premium radiators. The lowest price I saw on them the last time I checked was $160, far cheaper than the $550 Nissan wants! On my 06LE, I got a Chinese-made radiator w/ lifetime warranty from Parts Express on Ebay. When I purchased it, it was $92 including free shipping. It fit perfectly and appeared as well-built as the original Nissan tank. Only differences I found is that the drain plug was a different thread pitch (not an issue because a new one came with it) and the tanks were a glossy black plastic as opposed to the flat black plastic of the Nissan radiator. I did purchase new foam seals from Nissan. So far I've been using it almost two years and haven't had any problems.

The original Nissan radiator was a single 2-1/4" core. You'll find that size as well as dual 2-1/8" cores available on the aftermarket. I went with the dual core. I really don't think it makes a lot of difference; cooling performance is the same. Usually all aftermarket radiators have integral oil coolers so they can be used on vehicles with automatic transmissions, or installed and simply not used on vehicles with manual trannies. Griffin radiators makes an all-aluminum unit, but it's $550.

admiral

Postby admiral » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 am

Just ordered a new spectra radiator from rock auto. How much antifreeze would i need to the swap and how much atf? Would it be a good idea to flush the entire cooling system?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 am

You shouldn't need any ATF; if you do it'll be less than a pint assuming you plug off or pinch off the hoses. Two gallons of coolant (1-gallon of anti-freeze plus one gallon of distilled water, which you can pick up for $1 at most grocery stores and department stores, like Walmart) will be plenty. Really not a need to flush the system unless it's particularly dirty.

admiral

Postby admiral » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 am

smj999smj wrote:You shouldn't need any ATF; if you do it'll be less than a pint assuming you plug off or pinch off the hoses. Two gallons of coolant (1-gallon of anti-freeze plus one gallon of distilled water, which you can pick up for $1 at most grocery stores and department stores, like Walmart) will be plenty. Really not a need to flush the system unless it's particularly dirty.
Thanks, will any antifreeze due or do I need to find a specific one?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Your Nissan came with Nissan Long-life (green) anti-freeze from the factory. While I do like the genuine Nissan antifreeze, any aftermarket green or "universal" antifreeze (like Prestone) will work. Nissan now has a longer-life, blue antifreeze, which can also be used and will mix with the green without any problems. The Nissan anti-freezes are expensive, though, so most just go with the aftermarket options.

admiral

Postby admiral » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Well I replaced the radiator on my Pathy. Saved myself 255.00 as that was the price the shop quoted me with me providing the radiator. It took me longer to take it out than to put the new one in. I was surprised every bolt was a 10MM except for the the bottom ones holding the radiator to the support. (12MM). I was thinking with a lift I probably would have been able to take the radiator out the bottom. :idea:

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”