Roof rack "caps" ??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Mr Mayor

Roof rack "caps" ??

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:02 am

Morning gang.

My 08's roof rack, the end plastic pieces are just caps? Is there any metal through the loop itself?

Reason. SATURDAY I'm strapping my boat to the roof. I found an easy method of running PVC pipe THROUGH these "loops"... if they ARE just plastic, gbye boat, right??

Anyone?

MGJ

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 am

Yes the end pieces of the roof rack are plastic held on by a couple of small torx head bolts. You might get away hauling a small boat by tieing the boat front to the front of the truck under the bumper and the rear of the boat to the tow hitch.
Last edited by Gray on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:29 am

and just to clarify, the loops themselves have NO metal in them at all? Right?

MGJ

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:42 pm

The end mounts are just a plastic molding, easy enough to pry off the one side at the centerline with a flat screw driver to check for yourself. When I took the rack off the truck 2 of the end mounts had standing water in them, the torx head bolts were starting to show rust and the bolts in one of the center mounts were just finger tight. Also I've heard of the removeable side of these blowing off when driving so any that still have their rack installed should look to sealing them against weather with a bit of silicon which should also keep them from falling apart.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:26 pm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:42 am Post subject:
The end mounts are just a plastic molding, easy enough to pry off the one side at the centerline with a flat screw driver to check for yourself. When I took the rack off the truck 2 of the end mounts had standing water in them, the torx head bolts were starting to show rust and the bolts in one of the center mounts were just finger tight. Also I've heard of the removeable side of these blowing off when driving so any that still have their rack installed should look to sealing them against weather with a bit of silicon which should also keep them from falling apart.

i can be the first to attest to the stupid things blowing off. Either that or someone stole one of mine (but i'm pretty sure it blew of on I5). they are pretty easy to remove and are only plastic. dealership says the tabs on them break easy.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Ok. Thanks for the advice.

Now, is th rack bolted to the roof from the top? Or underneath, say headliner area?

MGJ

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:43 pm

The US built PF fashon rails are attached to the roof at the ends with 3 x #35 torx head machine screws and the center stand is attached to the roof with 2 x #30 torx, all of which go in from the top and screw into nuts that are fixed to the underside of the roof panel. The screws are quite tight when removing as they were originally put on with a blue locking compound. I think it would be best to remove them with a hand screw driver rather a power tool as the screw head could break off under high torque.

Mr Mayor

Postby Mr Mayor » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:58 am

Excellent info! My next step over the next month is to dump it, and possibly build a rack for the roof, permanently, and have it powdercoated, so I don't loose too much of the factory "style" there..

Thx!

MGJ

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”