So I have a 350z/G35 block uh?!

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

wreckedtom

So I have a 350z/G35 block uh?!

Postby wreckedtom » Thu May 06, 2010 11:25 am

Hai guise!!

I was wondering, since the 3.5L engine is the same block used in 350z and g35s, can I make my path sound like one? hehe

Thanks for answers! :P

Nick

jeffp0477

Re: So I have a 350z/G35 block uh?!

Postby jeffp0477 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 am

wreckedtom wrote:Hai guise!!

I was wondering, since the 3.5L engine is the same block used in 350z and g35s, can I make my path sound like one? hehe

Thanks for answers! :P

Nick
yes you can, just get the right exhaust setup.. and some magnaflow mufflers or something similar...

djzteb

Sound...

Postby djzteb » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 pm

The block is essentially the same... it is the VQ35. Now there are a couple of different versions of this engine out there. The 350Z and G35 have high RPM versions of this motor and the upper are way different. The intake plenum and exhaust manifold in particular. I have looked into this. My advice would be to go with a really open cold air or open element intake and to change the exhaust. Magnaflow is pretty much the gold standard for this.

Hope this helped a little.

fastpathy35

Postby fastpathy35 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:34 am

Without a large amount of money dropped into it, it will not sound like a 350z. The heads, cams, and intake manifold (upper and lower) are all different. the block is about the only similarity. I have a k&n intake and flowmaster super 40 series exhaust, and i like the sound, its unique, but not 350z by far.

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 am

hey fastpathy, u say u have the open element intake and a super 40. can you post a sound clip? i also just put a cone filter on but havent noticed any intake sound at all. and as for exhaust, i am stock for now. dont want anything obnoxious, just a little sound when i get on it. how did you do yours? a local exhaust guy (who i believe is just a lazy prick) told me that the only muffler he can put on with a dual inlet and single outlet would be much louder than i would want and that i should just leave it stock. it got me looking online for dual inlet/single outlet performance mufflers and i dont have alot of results

fastpathy35

Postby fastpathy35 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Go to YouTube, search, fastpathy35. There's an exhaust video. I have an old video of the intake but can't find it. The intake was louder than the exhaust and WOT. Sounded sweet IMO. But sadly I was rear ended jan 14 and she no longer runs the streets. So I can't make a new video.

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:12 pm

ahhhh. now that u say that i have seen u'r exhaust vid several times along with a bunch of others. right now i have the "y" to turn the 2 pipes into 1, then i'm gonna go with a 2" in/out muffler. it's tough to pick one without actually hearing what they sound like on a 3.5. what i DONT want is drone in the cabin area while cruising. lookin at a couple flowmasters and magnaflows in different lengths. i hear the rule of thumb is the longer the muffler the quieter it will be. i'm hoping for better flow than the original muffler but not TOO much noise. just a nice growl without getting raspy. 14" seems to be a common length

fastpathy35

Postby fastpathy35 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:24 pm

I can't remember for sure, I want to say my muffler was more like 20". It was a flow master super 40. A little cabin drone running over 75. It was dual in dual out I can't remember the pipe size. 2.125 maybe 2.25. I think the 50 series is a little quieter.

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:23 am

i have the stuff to put on mine now.. went with a 2" y since i couldnt find one that was 1-7/8 inlets so i think i'll just run a pair of adapters to the y, 2" inlet/outlet flowtech afterburner chambered muffler 13" long, then to the stock axle back. i have a feeling it's going to be much louder than i would like so the muffler is going to be installed sort of close to the front of the truck that way in teh future if i want it quieter, i can install a cheap turbo muffler from autozone or something.. gettin everything welded up tomorrow

festerfm

Postby festerfm » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 pm

got the exhaust done today.. pair of 1-3/4 ID to 2" OD adapters to attach the factory pipe before the muffler to a 2" inlet/outlet y-pipe to turn the 2 pipes into 1. then from the "y" we go to a 2" inlet/outlet flowtech afterburner chambered muffler 13" long. from there it's the stock tail pipe altho the resonator by the tail pipe is gone and just a straight pipe is there. no drone at all in the cabin area. and as for how it sounds outside, check out the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onuco1vgoKA

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”