Rattling Noise going over small bumps in the road

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Ashahiyd

Rattling Noise going over small bumps in the road

Postby Ashahiyd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and really do not know much about my Pathfinder but I am learning. Anyway, I have 95,000 on my Path and I just brought it 2 years ago from a Nissan Dealer. It is a 2004. As the heading states, when I go over bumps and cracks in the road I hear something knocking under the car like it is loose and it sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side of the car near the front. I went under the car numerous times with a flashlight and shook and rocked everything I could touch and found nothing loose. Anyone happen to know why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks,

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 pm

have a look at where the front shocks connect to the body (sorry im not mechanically inclined for the exact names)

there should be some rubber stops that maybe are damaged or worn out.

mtcoastie

Postby mtcoastie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey Ashiyd, did you ever figure out what it is? I am having trouble diagnosing something similar.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 pm

One of the things to check is the mount bushings for the front sway bar. They have a tendency to wear and spread out at the split of the bushing, causing the sway bar to contact the crossmember and make a knocking type noise. Nissan updated the bushings to help prevent this.

mtcoastie

Postby mtcoastie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:15 am

Yeah, I have replaced those. I have also replaced inner and outer tie rods, upper and lower control arms, and the front set of body mounts. I feel like I'm chasing ghosts!

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:59 am

My assumption would be this:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=6572

Mine does the same, and am looking to buy the body mounts soon and replace them to see if there is any relief.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 am

Have you checked the bolts holding your shocks in place?

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 pm

most likely it is the sway bar link kits.

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:10 pm

mtcoastie

How does it sound with the gibson exhaust. That is my next project.

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 pm

If you have a hitch ball mount installed, that thing can make a very annoying rattle when going over the smallest cracks on the road, especially at slow speeds. The sound is hard to trace, since it travels through the frame once this heavy piece of steel starts rattling in your hitch receiver. I was chasing this notice for a while until I realized what it was. Aside from the obvious things to check like front body mounts, stabilizer bar bushings and end-links as well as loose skid plates, there could be a few more culprits that I found were making noises under the hood:
1. Hood support - that stick is simply loose and rattles all over the place.
2. Transmission vent hose - this hose comes up from tranny and end behind you airbox. It's secured tight on the very top, but grab it and wiggle it around half way up - it makes some nasty sounds.
3. AC lines on the firewall (engine compartment).
4. Steering shaft - make sure the first connection where he saft comes out of the cabin is tightened properly. Just tug it a few times to make sure that bolt is tightened all he way.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”