Just to be clear, when you go to HIDs, you need bi-xenon?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Sayantsi

Just to be clear, when you go to HIDs, you need bi-xenon?

Postby Sayantsi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:03 am

Since I'm looking to upgrade my 2006 Pathfinder's headlights, I also want to be sure I'm clear on the bulb I'll need, since I can't get a good view from the other posts here.

The way the Pathfinder is wired, do I need a bi-xenon HID for plug and play, or does the Pathfinder use separate low and high beam bulbs?

Since I'm on the subject, what is the bulb size needed? 9007?

Thanks in advance,

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 am

It's a 9007 so you'll need the bi-xenon. I think that's part of the reason the HID's don't do much particularly on hi-beam. When it moves the bulb it just scatters the light instead of making it brighter.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:28 am

skinny2 wrote:It's a 9007 so you'll need the bi-xenon. I think that's part of the reason the HID's don't do much particularly on hi-beam. When it moves the bulb it just scatters the light instead of making it brighter.
Thanks. I was looking at some of the aftermarket kits and it looks like they go to two bulbs - one for normal and one for high, so i was trying to figure out how that ends up getting wired.

I know if I were to retrofit, it would be a one bulb setup.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am

Sayantsi wrote:
skinny2 wrote:It's a 9007 so you'll need the bi-xenon. I think that's part of the reason the HID's don't do much particularly on hi-beam. When it moves the bulb it just scatters the light instead of making it brighter.
Thanks. I was looking at some of the aftermarket kits and it looks like they go to two bulbs - one for normal and one for high, so i was trying to figure out how that ends up getting wired.

I know if I were to retrofit, it would be a one bulb setup.
the projector housings I ordered (and returned) had a two bulb setup and frankly I think that would be a lot better because they would be aimed more appropriately. They had harnesses that connected to the OEM bulb harness so there wasn't anything difficult with wiring.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:31 am

Thanks. I think I am going to order one of the kits Spyder, CG, etc, and I guess they come with a bulb and ballast each, but I doubt they'd be as good as a bulb and ballast from DDM or other better HID companies.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:26 am

Sayantsi wrote:Thanks. I think I am going to order one of the kits Spyder, CG, etc, and I guess they come with a bulb and ballast each, but I doubt they'd be as good as a bulb and ballast from DDM or other better HID companies.
Yes, if you buy the headlights from CarID, Ebay, etc., they have both low and high beams as separate bulbs. Very easy to splice & wire into your existing wiring. I only have HID as the low beams because I'm not sure where I'd put the ballasts and all the other ridiculous wiring for the highs.

I'd just get them without the HID kit, then add your own. I have some fairly expensive ones in my low beams, but went with el cheapo DDM for my long throw driving lights that I added in the grill. It's always nice to be able to choose your favorite HID rather than having to use something that might be sketchy.

Return to “R51 Electrical”