Bypass Radiator on 2008+

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:07 pm

tlee_20 wrote:
skinny2 wrote: The average Joe is not going to get a new free radiator/transmission unless this happens to take place during the powertrain warranty
By the way, you will get a free radiator/transmission if this happens under 80k miles. Not just within the 5yr/60k miles, it's free 8/80
That's right, I had forgotten about the 80k. Kind of wrote that off since I already blew through that number! So you weren't looking for any symptoms before it happened? I personally don't have a problem with a reman as I have been inside a couple reman facilities (Mercedes, Detroit Diesel) and if Nissan's is similar they're basically brand new transmissions. That being said...I'm not willing to spend $3,500+ for one on a well used vehicle.

tlee_20

Postby tlee_20 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 pm

No symptoms. It happens FAST. as soon as the cooler lets go it mixes fluids. It's all over after that. I had just checked the fluid the day before too

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03 am

New OEM radiator going in today...slapping on a new drive belt and tension while in there. I've never had to preventively replace a radiator before...but in the scheme of things that's certainly the best option at this point. Once this is done I'll do a full transmission fluid flush along with the other fluids and hopefully be good for another 90k miles.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:55 pm

skinny2 wrote:New OEM radiator going in today...slapping on a new drive belt and tension while in there. I've never had to preventively replace a radiator before...but in the scheme of things that's certainly the best option at this point. Once this is done I'll do a full transmission fluid flush along with the other fluids and hopefully be good for another 90k miles.
That's what's happening with my new acquisition (06, SE) as we speak. I'm a little confused about whether I should use the replacement rad and pay a little extra for a separately plumbed transmission cooler or is new redesigned rad a safe bet? Have any of the "new part numbers" (whatver those may be?) failed? The truck only has 80k km on it, and reliability is top priority. I don't want to break down "in the bush", miles (km) from nowhere.

H.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
That's what's happening with my new acquisition (06, SE) as we speak. I'm a little confused about whether I should use the replacement rad and pay a little extra for a separately plumbed transmission cooler or is new redesigned rad a safe bet? Have any of the "new part numbers" (whatver those may be?) failed? The truck only has 80k km on it, and reliability is top priority. I don't want to break down "in the bush", miles (km) from nowhere.

H.
I don't think anyone can say for sure....the new rad is supposed to be an updated part and given the fact that it seems to be time that kills these more than anything...it might be 4-6 years before we know for sure! I replaced my factor radiator (part# 21460-EA215) with a new OEM radiator from Courtesy Nissan (part# 21460-9CA0E). $460 shipped to my door and this is the first $ I've spent on a "repair" at 90k miles...so I really can't complain.

dell30rb

Postby dell30rb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 am

tlee_20 wrote:No symptoms. It happens FAST. as soon as the cooler lets go it mixes fluids. It's all over after that. I had just checked the fluid the day before too
What year is your pathfinder?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:55 am

My friend's 2009 Pathfinder S has over 160k miles now. He never did the bypass. Still going strong. He averages 50k miles a year he said. He bought it in 2010.

He has never even replaced the original spark plugs :shock: :lol: He did say he's planning on doing it soon.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:My friend's 2009 Pathfinder S has over 160k miles now. He never did the bypass. Still going strong. He averages 50k miles a year he said. He bought it in 2010.

He has never even replaced the original spark plugs :shock: :lol: He did say he's planning on doing it soon.
I'm pretty sure time is killing the radiators more than miles. I've yet to see an '09 have a radiator failure....but just recently there have been some '08's popping up on the forums. That's why I did mine now! Plus it's out of warranty....

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:25 am

2010 failure reported the other day:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=8786

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Hey guys,

On my 08 I have a 100k warranty. That should cover me when mine goes. Do they always replace with a new or reman transmission? Or do they replace with an equivalent mileage unit in good condition?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:20 pm

If it's Nissan warranty, they will replace with a Reman transmission most likely. I've heard they were out of Remans and only using new units but either way a factory reman is every bit as good as a new one IMHO. I've been in plants that reman engines/transmissions for MB and Freightliner and you can eat off the floor. Basically they take a used case and stuff it full of brand new guts.

I've heard of some of these non-manufacturer backed warranties using use parts....so who knows. One more reason to never buy an extended warranty...particularly a no-name one.

My concern would be if the radiator goes and doesn't destroy the tranny (right away) they might try to get out of replacing the transmission. There seem to be plenty of cases where the only repair was the radiator. I would be concerned with premature wear or the ability to get all the coolant out of the transmission. I'm sure it would last beyond the warranty!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”