Do you change your oil while under warranty?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

marc515

Do you change your oil while under warranty?

Postby marc515 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:38 am

I've been taking our 2011 PF to the dealer for scheduled oil changes as our PF is still under the factory warranty. Fortunately I get their special which is $60 for Mobil 1 and filter; I can't do it for to much less than that.

I would like to change the oil myself, but my concern is the warranty should I have an engine problem.

How many of you guys change your oil while under warranty?

Thank you

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:18 am

I do, just keep your receipts.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:11 am

I did. Just stick to the book miles even though you're using synthetic..it will be extra conservative but will keep you in good terms. As mentioned just save the receipts and record the miles. I used the most liberal schedule (7,500) per the book. If you wanted to save a few bucks you could switch to a less expensive synthetic since you're not going with extended intervals. I've been running NAPA synthetic which is produced by Valvoline and a NAPA gold filter. If you wait for it to be on sale, I can get out the door for $30. I've performed a couple oil analysis which showed no problems what so ever with that oil at 7,500 miles.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 am

You can do it yourself, but, like mentioned, keep good records and all receipts! I keep a small notepad or journal in my glove box and record the date, mileage and work performed and put all receipts in an envelope. Since many of today's store receipts are heat transfer type which fade quickly, it's not a bad idea to scan the receipts and keep them in a computer file so you can print them out later, or make a paper copy of the receipts as a back-up. I use genuine Nissan oil filters (they are about the same price as a good, aftermarket filter) and use Walmart's Syntech full synthetic 5W30 oil, which is make by Royal-Shell, the makers of Rotella. I just bought a 5 qt. jug for $17.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 pm

If you decide to change your own oil and filter just a friendly reminder most of the major brands run periodic rebates and coupon offers.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... tions.aspx

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”