2008 Death Valley get together

Regional discussions and Get Together organization Southwest. Wow is it hot states.

Moderator: volvite

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 am

Well it's good to know that the wing actually serves a purpose other than creating drag. When I a kid, I always wondered why the wing on the station wagons and trucks we had faced down. Of course I got older and learned what they were for, aerodynamics is cool.

pdslug

Postby pdslug » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:13 am

Great pics. Maybe next time I can make it out!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:16 am

Mine's actually Silverton Blue, which turns into a gray-blue when it's dirty. These are all pretty much the same photos, but at least we won't be short of eye candy.

On the way to Titus Canyon:

One of our mine stops:

Another mine stop. Notice the guy in the foreground: he and his brother Bubba bumped into the front end of Carl's PF as we all watched from a distance. Not a happy sight & I'm pretty sure these guys were extras in Deliverence.

Some shots within Titus Canyon proper:

Made it out of Titus & were waiting on Jim (again):

We drove across the valley & I had to make everyone stop in Stovepipe because I really needed a cold Pepsi at that point. Thanks to ragpaoa's sweetheart of a wife, sandwiches were made for me & my co-pilot. We'd been munching on granola bars and jerky all morning & just couldn't say no to the offer of a sandwich.

First stop in the mountains on the west side of the valley:

Another shot of Wile E:

Yes, it's a hole. A very deep hole.

The white playa in the left background (technically a salt pan), is where Badwater is located:

Last stop at the Charcoal Kilns:

At this point, guinnessjim noticed his PF was relieving itself on the ground:

We're pretty sure his Pathie just had too much green stuff to drink, and since guinnessjim wouldn't pull over to let his Pathie go #1, his poor ride just burst when we arrived at the kilns.

I don't suggest doing this while driving, especially while looking through the viewfinder of a camera. On the way back to Salt Lake:

The worst part of the drive is going across the salt flats just across the state line in Wendover. A perfectly straight line of I-80 for 50 miles, which is really lame if you aren't a flatlander:

Thanks again everyone. Truly a good bunch of guys (and girls & especially kids). As I go every year, I'll start a thread again at the end of this year for a 2009 Death Valley get together. If we can plan it far enough in advance, maybe some of you will be able to stay out there longer. We really didn't see much in the scope of things, which means there are far more future possibilities awaiting us.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:51 am

Particularly excellent shot from Aguelberry Point there Steve, wonderful framing with the rocks. And damn it I totally forgot about that *#$*@ bumping my truck. What a dork, at least he didn't do any damage. Go get a bumper guard people, keep idiots away from your paint!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:08 pm

Just caught a show on the Travel Channel called Top Tens, and the first segment covered Death Valley. For those who want to get more of a glimpse into the place, watch it if you get the chance.

Return to “Southwest US”