changed shocks considering struts? Worth the Money?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

pathy2013

changed shocks considering struts? Worth the Money?

Postby pathy2013 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi everyone!

Glad i found this forum. So i have a 2001 pathfinder 125,000 miles on it. I changed the rear shocks this weekend, REALLY improved the drive quality worth every penny.

I am now considering replacing the front struts. Pretty affordable parts online but labor and alignment is pricey. Do people think it would be worth the money? These cars are getting pretty old so i really want to invest only in the things that will give me the most bang for my bucks. Would it be worth the $400 its gonna cost to get the struts replaced? I am not hearing any sounds but it is leaning bunch on sharp curves and i feel it on the bumps and speed bumps. Definitely improved with the shocks for sure but I'm wondering if people would recommend this? Its a pretty decent percentage of what the car is worth so some advice would be really recommended. Pretty sure its the original struts.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 16, 2013 4:12 pm

If they are original, it probably would be worth replacing them. KYB makes a good stock replacement strut and is an original equipment supplier to Nissan. Bilstein HD's are very good but usually a bit more money.

VegasDriver

Postby VegasDriver » Fri May 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Just had mine changed with 140K miles. Show an improvement in ride and steering indeed. The old ones were beat up from off roading here in the SW and might have messed up the steering and rack and pinion. So yes, I would change them about now. Got a great deal from discountautoshocks.com

If they are not changed soon enough, they will cause other front end wear on brakes and etc.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”