Fan Clutch

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Fan Clutch

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:32 am

Hey all,

Have been contemplating changing my fan clutch for the last year or so. I'm fairly certain my fan is on more than it should be.

Any experience out there on OEM vs Aftermarket clutches?

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 pm

There have been a number of fan clutch failures on the R51's. People complaining about the constant "roar" of the fan. I've heard of a couple of problems with the aftermarket units. I would stick with the genuine Nissan part in this case.

jester125

Postby jester125 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 am

Ive been procrastinating the replacement of the fan clutch but its too loud to ignore now. I found this here (thanks to Cliff_Jumper) :

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... clutch+fan

I plan on using it to change out mine as soon as I find one online.

Chris
(thanks to Cliff_Jumper)

Cliff_Jumper

Postby Cliff_Jumper » Fri May 17, 2013 5:24 am

jester125 wrote:Ive been procrastinating the replacement of the fan clutch but its too loud to ignore now. I found this here (thanks to Cliff_Jumper) :

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... clutch+fan

I plan on using it to change out mine as soon as I find one online.

Chris
(thanks to Cliff_Jumper)
Chris is correct. The aftermarket I used didn't last long. It's mostly on (specially when the outside temp reach 80 deg).

I'm contemplating of going electric. There's more work, but I think it's worth it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:39 am

Finally got around to ordering this part. I ended up ordering from autopartsway.ca, which offers the OE original parts, at prices not to far from the prices I saw on the US Nissan websites (Courtesy, aaanissanparts, etc). They also include free shipping in Canada for orders over $100. Have never used these guys before, we'll see how it goes. Finally someone has figured out that us canooks hate buying from US websites, and set up a Canadian one with reasonable pricing!

Paid $167 plus applicable government sales taxes. Local Nissan dealer was $186 plus tax and had to order from Vancouver. Courtesy was $135 + shipping, and then I'd have to go pick it up at the US border and import it.

Was reviewing the post that Sayantsi posted on changing the serp belt, and noticed that all the upper intake stuff was taken off to do that job, which means its probably a good time to do plugs as well. So at $18/plug plus the belt ($35) and possibly the tensioner ($40), so much for this repair costing less than $300... Damn. $%&#

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:11 am

Did the clutch last night, as my bruised forearms can attest. I ended up unbolting (in this order)
- engine cover
- air intake
- black bumper trim strip
- metal under-engine tray
- unclipped hoses & removed lower shroud
- unbolted upper shroud

Then I was able to move the upper shroud out of the way enough to unbolt and remove the fan. As someone posted in the thread linked above: The bolts attaching the clutch to the pulley (10 mm) are easy to round off. My socket set did not fit, requiring a closed wrench instead. (Use the longest you can find for leverage)

I picked it up from the local dealer, who had stock, for about $184 CN. The labour quote for the job was $150. The process took me about an hour, but I wasn't rushing. I should have done it sooner, as there is a huge difference in noise level when starting the truck and when accelerating. Gas mileage also seems noticeably improved . After 100 km of mixed driving I'm seeing about 15% improvement. :shock:

(...I don't quite believe it myself and I will post a longer term average.)

H

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:38 am

Yup Hated the mechanical fan clutch. so much noise. for $425 i did the flex a lite dual fans and do not regret 1 bit. Have it on my car for 1 year now. summer winter A/C on all the time and not 1 issue, i ceep it set at 190 deg. and it keeps it there all the time. and what a difference in the noise.
Here is the link to my Electric fan post for information.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ctric+fans

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”