Hill start assist question? Off-road owners

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

PFhopefull

Hill start assist question? Off-road owners

Postby PFhopefull » Wed May 07, 2008 7:16 am

Just wondering if any body uses this feature when launching a boat on a steep ramp? I could see this being a great feature for this very reason, but wonder if it was made for this? Does the system calculate the incline and weight or does it just spit out a set # of rpm's to hold the vehicles own weight, Hope this question make sense. Let me know if I need to elaborate myself. Thanks

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Hill start assist question? Off-road owners

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 07, 2008 9:09 am

PFhopefull wrote:Just wondering if any body uses this feature when launching a boat on a steep ramp? I could see this being a great feature for this very reason, but wonder if it was made for this? Does the system calculate the incline and weight or does it just spit out a set # of rpm's to hold the vehicles own weight, Hope this question make sense. Let me know if I need to elaborate myself. Thanks
Not sure how it would work with the additional weight of a boat. I do know that it is one of my favorite features. I still don't know how steep something needs to be in order for it to kick in, or even how it senses that it should kick in. But, if I'm on a hill and come to a stop, then remove my foot from the brake, it stays put (the brake pedal remains where I left it). It's entirely brake based only. Not sure if this will help?

blink32
Sponsored Member

Re: Hill start assist question? Off-road owners

Postby blink32 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:34 pm

PFhopefull wrote:Does the system calculate the incline....
I'm pretty sure I found out a while back it was a mercury-type switch calibrated so you needed to be at X% grade before it would complete the circuit. But like Steve said, its brake based and has nothing to do with revving the engine and using the transmission to hold the vehicle in place.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:01 am

I don't have this, as I have the non-off road, standard 4x4.

BUT I do launch a boat with mine often. What I do is use both feet, I left foot brake a little and let it off kind of like you would a clutch. This gives a smooth start up the ramp w/o rolling back or jerking.

This is not Pathfinder related as they are all automatic, but the times I've pulled up the ramp in a manual tranny, I just did the old 'heel toe' work on the gas, brake in connection with also using the parking brake to avoid rollback.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”