dirt drag races!

Use that 4x4 switch on your Path and go get dirty!

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

dirt drag races!

Postby doctahjones » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:44 pm

well, it's not exactly offroading...

but it was a total blast! i beat an older v8 grand cherokee, a newer v8 grand cherokee and a suped-up old willys. i was the only nissan out there (at least in the 4wd class). after talking with a veteran racer, i ran in 4LO. holy crap it's really got some pickup when you put it down there, alot more than i was expecting for being in the hard dirt. i also aired down to about 20psi (from my norm ~45psi).

our gang ice racing put the event on, the same group that does the ice racing in georgetown, co. they made an 80yd track for us to run on.

it was double elimination and i was beaten by a EVO and STI. the EVO had 500+ hp and honestly he didn't beat me by -that- much. the STI was supposedly stock, but was running snow tires. i really think he had a tune on it...

couple vids
me beating the willys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaoBy8Rdh3M&hd=1

sti beating me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7GSAJyj4Ew&hd=1

here's some of the pics, the whole gallery is on my fb photog fan page:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 677&type=1

cherokee wasn't even close!

i got a hell of a jump on him off the line. he was running street tires and just sat and spun through 1st gear.

however once he hooked up in 2nd, he screamed past me.

older v8 GC that was a little harder to beat

got 'im though :)

jeep was also a little hard to beat

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Looks fun. As for the jeeps. The new Jeep you beat, is the WKII, 2011-Now. I can't tell from this these pictures, but do you know did it have the 5.7 Hemi or the 3.6 Penstar?

The older Grand Cherokee is a WJ, 99-04. Did that Jeep have the 4.0 inline 6, the 4.7L V8 or the 4.7L H.O. (High Output)?

I used to have a 99 WJ with the 4.7 and loved that Jeep. The only reason I sold it was for my hunting trip to Africa last summer. It was a great vehicle and is still running strong. Sold it to my brother. Got to pay to play right.

As much as I love my V8 Pathfinder, my heart is still loyal to Jeep.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:07 am

Neat, would have liked to done that with my PF. :D

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:23 am

volvite wrote:Looks fun. As for the jeeps. The new Jeep you beat, is the WKII, 2011-Now. I can't tell from this these pictures, but do you know did it have the 5.7 Hemi or the 3.6 Penstar?

The older Grand Cherokee is a WJ, 99-04. Did that Jeep have the 4.0 inline 6, the 4.7L V8 or the 4.7L H.O. (High Output)?

I used to have a 99 WJ with the 4.7 and loved that Jeep. The only reason I sold it was for my hunting trip to Africa last summer. It was a great vehicle and is still running strong. Sold it to my brother. Got to pay to play right.

it was a hemi. however it was a older (over 30 for sure) lady driving so you know....plus i think it's traction control kicked in which hindered her.

the older white cherokee i'm not sure. it had the v8 decal on the back, but i didn't really -look- at it. it's one of those if it's there you know it's at least an 8.

we're actually toying around with getting the wife a 'new' grand cherokee once her lease is up on her volvo. the new ones sure do look sharp

i really love my pathy as well, but for offroading i'm really liking my wrangler. i've always felt that the gc's were a little small on the inside, but maybe i won't get that feeling in the newer ones.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:59 am

Looks like a real good time, a blast!

Imagine 4Lo with 3.36's, I think you'll like that, imagine the pick up.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:43 am

doctahjones wrote:
volvite wrote:Looks fun. As for the jeeps. The new Jeep you beat, is the WKII, 2011-Now. I can't tell from this these pictures, but do you know did it have the 5.7 Hemi or the 3.6 Penstar?

it was a hemi. however it was a older (over 30 for sure) lady driving so you know....plus i think it's traction control kicked in which hindered her.

the older white cherokee i'm not sure. it had the v8 decal on the back, but i didn't really -look- at it. it's one of those if it's there you know it's at least an 8.

we're actually toying around with getting the wife a 'new' grand cherokee once her lease is up on her volvo. the new ones sure do look sharp

i really love my pathy as well, but for offroading i'm really liking my wrangler. i've always felt that the gc's were a little small on the inside, but maybe i won't get that feeling in the newer ones.
As for the older Grand Cherokee, WJ, It probaly was the 4.7L. they are great motors. Loved mine. Did great on the stuff I needed to tow at that time, plus had good pick up and go.

As for the new Grand Cherokee, WKII, I look at them weeky. I know i've used my 3rd row to help haul family around in my Pathfinder, but I'll just tell everyone that's not possible anymore. They do look sharp and currently seem to hold their value as well. It seem all the used ones are going for about the same price or just a few 1k off the price of a new one. More incentive for me to buy new as I've never owned a brand new vehicle. I always like to pick up a used one and save the "drive off the lot" loss.

Return to “Offroad Adventures”