Steering Woes...

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

ballsie

Steering Woes...

Postby ballsie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:26 pm

1999.5 4x4

Steering wheel is cocked 45 degrees to the left after making a left hand turn. Steering wheel is cocked 45 degrees to the right after making a right hand turn.

I just replaced the entire steering rack along with new tie rod ends and got it aligned.

The truck is doing the same ******* thing!

Im at the end of my rope. the steering is loosey goosey and it has a brand new rack on it.

Am I missing something? Steering gear? Any input would be great!

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:28 am

The steering transfer gear assembly is the likely culprit. It's where the steering column makes a 90 degree turn down towards the power steering rams. You'll have to remove some of the air intake stuff to get to it. Some cars allow for a backlash adjustment but you may have to buy a new one.
Check for movement on the input side with no corresponding movement on the output side by getting somebody to turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:25 am

While there, you'll also want to make sure that the strut tower is not rusted out in that area. There is a current recall for R50 Pathfinders addressing this problem (with the rotted out strut towers).

ballsie

Postby ballsie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:04 am

I received the recall notice in the mail, but I replaced the struts last year and nothing was rusty except the 2 lower strut bolts that mount to the knuckle.

Steering pivot gear looks to be moving fine in both directions although i hear a small click when changing directions.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:46 pm

The click shouldn't be there and is likely a sign of backlash due to wear. If you move the steering wheel back and forth slightly (click to click) and see little to no movement in the output shaft then it's worn out.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”