bumpy suspension

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:00 pm

DanJetta wrote:Don't underestimate the power of what you hear. I think part of why the ride feels so harsh is because everything inside the car is so cheap and rattly, so the ride is perceived as being harsher than it really is. I drove through downtown Baltimore with noise-cancelling headphones on (as a joke with my wife) and I noticed that the ride seemed a lot better. The inside no longer sounded like a giant baby rattle. Well, it did, but I couldn't hear it.

When I hit a pothole in my wife's Jetta, I only hear the suspension working. When I hit a pothole in the Pathfinder, I hear the entire dash shifting, the door internals rattling, the hatch banging and every other plastic part inside the car vibrating in some form. It sounds like an all-out collision.
I sort of agree with this. Putting damping in the front and rear fenders of my Pathfinder tremendously improved the noise characteristics, even after I'd installed Bilsteins and air bags.

They're unstressed in the body-on-frame design so they act like giant tympani drums. A little rubber goes a long way here...

srquill

Postby srquill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:17 pm

DanJetta wrote:When I hit a pothole in the Pathfinder, I hear the entire dash shifting, the door internals rattling, the hatch banging and every other plastic part inside the car vibrating in some form. It sounds like an all-out collision.
That's exactly what mine rides like. I've got a 05 Off-Road and I've been wondering if there's something wrong with the suspension or if its just a bunch of rattle. When I go over bumps or unevenness on the road, it feels like it's going to break out from underneath me

srquill

Re: bumpy suspension

Postby srquill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 pm

NVSteve wrote: One of the first mods I did was replace the springs & shocks. It is firmer, but it is no longer bouncy like it was at stock. I can now drive over a big bump without feeling much of anything, whereas before my suspension would bottom out with a big bounce.
What did you do to smoothen your ride? Bilsteins and air bags you said?

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”