Plastidippin

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

srquill

Plastidippin

Postby srquill » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Hey guys just wanted to show you guys what I've been doing. We bought this new in 2005, was the family car, then sister had it, and this year it was handed down to me so time to modify :D

First were the tints earlier this week
Before

After

Took the running boards off

Then spent yesterday and a little today plastidipping...wheels, emblems, and tow hitch area

Not the greatest picture but came out real nice, glad to get rid of that rustiness

Still plastidip on the wheels in those so they don't look quiet as nice(too excited to see how it looked) but overall im real happy with how its coming out so far
Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions..thinking of doing the roof rack

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:56 am

Looks good. I sent you a PM about your running boards - I'm looking for a pair for my wife's Pathy.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 am

Don't forget the front grill. Could you explain how you are painting? Specifically, I want to know how you have a clean looking OFF ROAD badge when your tape job left a bunch of exposed paint. Just wondering if there is some special technique to plasti dipping I need to know about.

srquill

Postby srquill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:11 am

NVSteve wrote:Don't forget the front grill. Could you explain how you are painting? Specifically, I want to know how you have a clean looking OFF ROAD badge when your tape job left a bunch of exposed paint. Just wondering if there is some special technique to plasti dipping I need to know about.
Yeah about the grill...hit a bird and cracked the black part and messed up the emblem so debating buying a totally black grill or new black insert and plastidip the chrome part

If you leave an extra inch or 3/4" around the emblem, when you feel up the tape it lifts the edge of the plastidip and you came grab that inch and pull around the letters. Work perfectly for my. In the small cracks like the F and A, use a toothpick or small flat head screwdriver and gently pull

2012Pathfinder_EB

Postby 2012Pathfinder_EB » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:08 am

anybody know where to find a factory black grill? will a frontier grill fit a pathy?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:28 pm

srquill wrote:
If you leave an extra inch or 3/4" around the emblem, when you feel up the tape it lifts the edge of the plastidip and you came grab that inch and pull around the letters. Work perfectly for my. In the small cracks like the F and A, use a toothpick or small flat head screwdriver and gently pull
Gotcha. I was planning on completely removing some of the gaudy plastic/chrom trim and then painting, but it would certainly save some time to paint it attached.

srquill

Postby srquill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

2012Pathfinder_EB wrote:anybody know where to find a factory black grill? will a frontier grill fit a pathy?
Looking for something like this?
http://www.carid.com/2005-nissan-pathfi ... 02030.html

srquill

Postby srquill » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:36 pm

NVSteve wrote: Gotcha. I was planning on completely removing some of the gaudy plastic/chrom trim and then painting, but it would certainly save some time to paint it attached.
Yes saves a lot of time and came out nice

iheartmypathy

Postby iheartmypathy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:09 am

nice work dude! it looks great!!

srquill

Postby srquill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:59 pm

iheartmypathy wrote:nice work dude! it looks great!!
thank you!

srquill

Postby srquill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:11 pm

After the first wash with the plastidip. Used a foamy brush lightly and high pressure gun, staying about a foot or more away from the dipped areas and held up perfectly

My other ride

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:51 pm

srquill wrote:After the first wash with the plastidip. Used a foamy brush lightly and high pressure gun, staying about a foot or more away from the dipped areas and held up perfectly

after a few months you can get a alot more aggressive with the brush and HP gun. while i still don't get all up in it with the gun around the edges for the parts of the body i sprayed, but no problems with the brush.

i do need to take some shots, but after having it on for more than a year i am finally get some deterioration in some areas on the rims. but i'd say that's pretty good for a whole year!

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:59 pm

I have had my plasti dip on for over a year now and it is time to re do the grill and lift gate chrome is starting to come off from using it. The wheels are holding up great, might put on another coat to touch it up, but very happy with the product at this point.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:11 pm

This is just my opinion but taking the running boards off makes it look cheap. I know the guys with lifts and that actually off-road theirs do this mod however they are usually replaced with sliders.

srquill

Postby srquill » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:46 am

staynlean wrote:This is just my opinion but taking the running boards off makes it look cheap. I know the guys with lifts and that actually off-road theirs do this mod however they are usually replaced with sliders.
I wouldn't say it looks cheap, but that's all personal preference I guess. I'm thinking about getting some black ones of some kind

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”