A/C pulls idle down....can a tuner help?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ThePainClinic

A/C pulls idle down....can a tuner help?

Postby ThePainClinic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:05 am

I have a 2010 PF LE 4.0 and when I'm at a stop light and the A/C is on I have noticed that when the compressor kicks on it drags the idle down to around 500rpm. It can shake the car a little and creates a sound when doing so. It goes right back up but then drops again, making it a distraction. Ive called several different service dealers who have all said that's normal for Nissans, especially the PF/ Frontiers (I assume the V6 engines only)

My question is can a tuner (Nissan Cortex 4950) bump the idle up a 25-50 rpm's. The dealer said they couldn't play with the idle against Nissans rules. And that everything was normal. But its so annoying is there anything I can do?

NmexMAX

Re: A/C pulls idle down....can a tuner help?

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:56 am

ThePainClinic wrote:I have a 2010 PF LE 4.0 and when I'm at a stop light and the A/C is on I have noticed that when the compressor kicks on it drags the idle down to around 500rpm. It can shake the car a little and creates a sound when doing so. It goes right back up but then drops again, making it a distraction. Ive called several different service dealers who have all said that's normal for Nissans, especially the PF/ Frontiers (I assume the V6 engines only)

My question is can a tuner (Nissan Cortex 4950) bump the idle up a 25-50 rpm's. The dealer said they couldn't play with the idle against Nissans rules. And that everything was normal. But its so annoying is there anything I can do?
Cipher can adjust the idle +/- 250RPM. I'm sure other can as well.

Fookn4x2

Postby Fookn4x2 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 am

Mine does the same thing as yours and it's annoying. I know the shake you are talking about because sometimes it makes my dash vibrate as if I was driving down a dirt road. Just briefly though. But to add to that, when it happens, it also makes the exhaust shake and something rattles in the back. I'm thinking it might be a broken hanger?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 am

I feel like your idle should adjust automatically to compensate, no? My past cars' idle would dip for a second and then recover. On my Pathfinder, the compressor actually has zero impact on idle. Possible vacuum leak?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:22 am

DanJetta wrote:I feel like your idle should adjust automatically to compensate, no? My past cars' idle would dip for a second and then recover. On my Pathfinder, the compressor actually has zero impact on idle. Possible vacuum leak?
Same here. Might be the V8 ECU might differ.

My car (03 Maxima VQ35) has the slight dip and recovery, as does my older car (95 Maxima VQ30). I've seen another car had it quite bad actually (10 Gen Coupe 2.0T) where the dash would shake severely and it took a while to recover.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:11 am

if a tuner is used to bump up the idle speed, wouldn't it have to be readjusted back down every time the A/C is not being used?
it seems to me that if it weren't, it would be a pretty hard & klunky shift from park into the forward gears or reverse
BTW: the A/C kicking on has barely any effect on the idle speed of both of my R51s

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 am

eieio wrote:if a tuner is used to bump up the idle speed, wouldn't it have to be readjusted back down every time the A/C is not being used?
it seems to me that if it weren't, it would be a pretty hard & klunky shift from park into the forward gears or reverse
BTW: the A/C kicking on has barely any effect on the idle speed of both of my R51s
I agree, it really shouldn't be an issue. Also, it almost seems like a band aid for a different problem by adjusting the idle speed.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 pm

no noticable effect on my v8 either.

if you do bump the idle with the tuner (bully dog can do it as well), then you'll -always- be at say +100rpm when the ac isn't on. might degrade mpgs and require more brake pedal force to keep you stopped.

has to be something else. maybe try a different dealer? are you still under factory warranty?

ThePainClinic

Re: A/C pulls idle down....can a tuner help?

Postby ThePainClinic » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:19 pm

NmexMAX wrote:
ThePainClinic wrote:I have a 2010 PF LE 4.0 and when I'm at a stop light and the A/C is on I have noticed that when the compressor kicks on it drags the idle down to around 500rpm. It can shake the car a little and creates a sound when doing so. It goes right back up but then drops again, making it a distraction. Ive called several different service dealers who have all said that's normal for Nissans, especially the PF/ Frontiers (I assume the V6 engines only)

Cipher can adjust the idle +/- 250RPM. I'm sure other can as well.
what is cipher?

It dips then recovers but I was thinking only a slight upgrade in rpms - maybe 25. With a tuner I can always readjust back to stock when I take it to the dealer. Im on the nissan ext. Service plan.

no other issues with the engine. Just dips and recovers. Its not an issue in Park, only at stop with the break peddle down and truck in gear

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:34 pm

I know this too well, mine dips and it shakes the truck violently. I actually think it might be a compressor problem. It only does this after coming to a stop after having been at highway speeds. Then, it will stop after it has cycled 10-15 times roughly. I dunno...

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:16 am

I know this may be a far fetched idea, but could it be dirty injectors causing an imbalance between cylinders? The fuel we get nowadays is pathetic.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:29 am

FWIW I think the compressors aren't great. I've replaced one for noise, and the replacement from Nissan is starting to sound the same way a few years later...

FLpathFinder

Postby FLpathFinder » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:11 am

Well at least we all know its a common problem and not just ours lol

Cruzin1a

Postby Cruzin1a » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:58 am

Our 08 V6 does the same shake when the compressor kicks on. I recently changed the plugs at 95k miles hoping it might ease the problem but it's still there.

2012Pathfinder_EB

Postby 2012Pathfinder_EB » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 am

had the same issue, brought to dealers attention - was told this is normal. i cant stand it....

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”