My 2005 Pathfinder is DEAD.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

XiBowhunter

My 2005 Pathfinder is DEAD.

Postby XiBowhunter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 am

My transmission is officially ruined. With only 114,000 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from replaced the radiator when I bought it (It had 104,000 miles on it) but did not flush the coolant and transmission fluid like they were supposed to.

I am now in the process of turning a lawsuit against the dealer because they didn't take the proper steps to correct the problem. I really didn't want to go this route, but I have been in contact with Nissan, and they said that I was out of warranty and there was nothing that they were willing to do.

This really makes Nissan look bad that they have had this much of a problem out of these vehicles, but they won't do anything for me just because my pathfinder was 4000 miles over their warranty period.

All estimates I have been given to fix the problem will cost $4000-6000. I just don't have that kind of money right now.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:48 am

Have you gone to a reputable transmission shop? I haven't had to myself, but if a tranny rebuild was more than $2 - 2.5k, I would be shocked.

XiBowhunter

Postby XiBowhunter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:53 am

disallow wrote:Have you gone to a reputable transmission shop? I haven't had to myself, but if a tranny rebuild was more than $2 - 2.5k, I would be shocked.
I have received estimates from six different transmission shops where I live. Three of them deal mainly in transmission work. None of them were lower than $4000.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 am

XiBowhunter wrote:
disallow wrote:Have you gone to a reputable transmission shop? I haven't had to myself, but if a tranny rebuild was more than $2 - 2.5k, I would be shocked.
I have received estimates from six different transmission shops where I live. Three of them deal mainly in transmission work. None of them were lower than $4000.
That has to be a reman unit and not them rebuilding it. Granted the reman will likely be better....but as Disallow mentioned a bench rebuild shouldn't be more than a couple grand.

I would also consider finding a junk yard unit if it comes out of a 2010 or newer. These are pretty stout units if you keep the coolant from migrating!

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:29 am

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I hope you get some kind of compensation for their mistake. I just screwed up my tranny in march... i did it myself... bottom line, i went to a dealership and put in a brand new transmission for $4700 plus labor. Ouch.

daytona675

Postby daytona675 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:15 am

I had to rebuild my son's Colorado tranny a couple months ago, and I picked the Tech's brain while there regarding the radiator issue with the nissans (locally owned reputable shop) (i was close to 80k at the time on my pathy) The big cost to redo a Nissan tranny is the solenoid pack, you apparently can get individual solenoids & valves on most makes & models of cars & trucks, but you have to purchase the entire valve body/solenoid pack from Nissan for the 05-12 pathy/fronty/xt (over $1600. according to him) and when the ccolant in the trans fluid hits them they either start rusting or they short out. thats why it costs so much. ( the 4x4 colorado completely grenaded pump & all & 'only' cost $1800 to fully rebuild!!)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”