Nissan paint: I believe it truly sucks

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:40 pm

I used to drive an 01 Acura RSX. That front end was a magnet for rock chips. After my wreck, not my fault, the whole front end was replaced. I too had the 3M clear bra put on and it was fantastic. Saved the front end from new chips and rock damage until the car was totaled a few years later when driven by my father, again not his fault.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 am

volvite wrote:I used to drive an 01 Acura RSX. That front end was a magnet for rock chips. After my wreck, not my fault, the whole front end was replaced. I too had the 3M clear bra put on and it was fantastic. Saved the front end from new chips and rock damage until the car was totaled a few years later when driven by my father, again not his fault.
So, are you telling me the clearbra won't protect the front end in a collision? WTF good is it for then? :lol:

I have so many dings in my hood that I can't keep up with them. I have two bottles of touch-up paint at home & I'm out sanding, priming and painting every 6 months. Of course, my touch-ups of big holes in the paint look like complete crap, but better than leaving the holes to rust. We've got the clearbra on the Xterra & it is still in mint condition.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 am

Another example of the paint/peeling paint from under the hood on the passenger side:

Driver's side:

Repainted hood and panel from the body shop:

The guys at the body shop even detailed the whole thing. I don't think it has been this clean and sparkly since the day I bought it.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:38 pm

NVSteve wrote:
deermjd wrote:I've got the same issue on my front bumper. I just thought it was poor adhesion to the plastic but apparently it's just crappy paint/primer.
Even with my OME lift,[\b] the approach angles still aren't the best, especially when having to drive into & out of a very steep u-shaped stream crossing. Long story short, I gouged the crap out of one spot on my front bumper, although it is more on the bottom edge of it & isn't really too visible. But, even with the deep gouges, mine looks like it is colored plastic all the way through-no paint. Yeah, I just went out and looked at it again & the grooves are the same color as the paint, just a little lighter (love plastic). If that really is paint on there, then they did a damn fine job on my bumper-maybe to make up for screwing me over on the rest of my paint...
Is that YJ in the reflection yours?

No, that belongs to one of the few renters in our condo complex. Typical stoner looking kid with a drop-dead looker of a girlfriend/wife.

How do you like the OME lift? I have one on an XJ and love it. Wondering how it is for the R51. Thanks

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:34 am

Zen_master wrote: How do you like the OME lift? I have one on an XJ and love it. Wondering how it is for the R51. Thanks
Really like mine. Absolutely needed & essential.

fuelcell

mine too

Postby fuelcell » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:57 am

Same thing happened to my 05 dark blue (forget color name). Completely bubbled and flaked off in the rain gutters, the front right panel channel and both pillars and a little on the leading edge of the hood.

Really disappointed with the quality.

I got a custom spray paint can/ clear coat and with a little learning curve did a pretty good job.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”