TPMS Reset tool from Amazon

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

allisojh

TPMS Reset tool from Amazon

Postby allisojh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:55 am

OTC 3831 Nissan TPMS reset tool.

This tool is designed to extinguish the Tire Pressure Warning Light on 2003 and newer Nissan vehicles with TPM Reset Connector.

The connector end of the cable mates to the vehicle connector found behind the DLC connector under the dash.

The alligator clip is clipped onto the metal bracket that holds the DLC connector.

Once connected and the ignition is turned on, the tool trigger is pressed 5 times within 10 seconds causing the warning light to start flashing.

With the tool disconnected, the vehicle can be started and driven over 30 mph until the light stops flashing, which completes the procedure.

Anyone ever try this? Every couple of weeks my TPMS light begins to flash. I then have to take it to the dealer and the reset it. Every couple of weeks it flashes again. It literally happens the same place every time. I am driving down a hill that banks to the left at the bottom, when I go into the turn it begins to flash. Then the F'r stays on until Nissan resets the thing. Its a pain in the ass as they make me schedule an appt. wait around, etc...

first... what is the diagnosis so I can tell the service guy whats going on. They say the sensors are fine, it just has to be reset. WTF... something is definatly wrong for the thing to flash every couple of weeks.

second... has anyone tried this tool. If it works, F it, I will just buy it and leave it in the car.

PS My ECM relay recall just came in so it has to go into the shop this Friday so If I can tell them something to do to fix the problem, I will so I am all ears.

richardekirby

Re: TPMS Reset tool from Amazon

Postby richardekirby » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:58 am

allisojh wrote:OTC 3831 Nissan TPMS reset tool.

This tool is designed to extinguish the Tire Pressure Warning Light on 2003 and newer Nissan vehicles with TPM Reset Connector.

The connector end of the cable mates to the vehicle connector found behind the DLC connector under the dash.

The alligator clip is clipped onto the metal bracket that holds the DLC connector.

Once connected and the ignition is turned on, the tool trigger is pressed 5 times within 10 seconds causing the warning light to start flashing.

With the tool disconnected, the vehicle can be started and driven over 30 mph until the light stops flashing, which completes the procedure.

Anyone ever try this? Every couple of weeks my TPMS light begins to flash. I then have to take it to the dealer and the reset it. Every couple of weeks it flashes again. It literally happens the same place every time. I am driving down a hill that banks to the left at the bottom, when I go into the turn it begins to flash. Then the F'r stays on until Nissan resets the thing. Its a pain in the ass as they make me schedule an appt. wait around, etc...

first... what is the diagnosis so I can tell the service guy whats going on. They say the sensors are fine, it just has to be reset. WTF... something is definatly wrong for the thing to flash every couple of weeks.

second... has anyone tried this tool. If it works, F it, I will just buy it and leave it in the car.

PS My ECM relay recall just came in so it has to go into the shop this Friday so If I can tell them something to do to fix the problem, I will so I am all ears.
How much was this item? Like you, I'm getting tired of seeing that blinking light. Maybe someone here has some input.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:17 am

I have learned to ignore mine. I figure one of the tire sensors is flaky.
However, it is passengers that often notice it "ON". Does not flash except at first.

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:42 pm

First of all, that is not at all what the factory tool looks like, nor does it function similarly.

Second; If they are all ok and you drive over 30km/hr and wait a minute, the light will go out (if you air up a low tire for example). Without any tool or mode settings.

Third; Your dealer's techs need a clue; Rather than endlessly reset the code, they need to read the manual and see that the flashing light is a data or no-data code, not a low pressure issue. Odds are one of your sensors are toast (especially if you got new tires and the tech wasn't carefull). The should INITIALIZE the TPMS sensors, so that the order isn't mixed up from rotations, then, the next time a code comes on, you can accurately ID which wheel it is on the car. Just replace that sensor and be done with it.

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:50 am

No crap. We all know is not a low pressure problem. The Nissan guys say there is nothing wrong with the sensors, they just need to be re-learned which I know is BS. Obviously something is toast and I told them that last time.

I have 4 brand new sensors that could be installed then recoded but... Do I feel like having Nissan pull 4 tires, replace the sensors, re mount and re balance the tires then re code it all to have a light go out and a bill for 200 bucks???

I need 2 rear tires in during the next year. What I fugured I would do is have the tire guy install the new sensors with those tires along with the two new front sensors and pay him for the remounting of the fronts as it will be a lot cheaper than Nissan. Then go over to Nissan and have them recode the receiver and the 4 new sensors. I will write all the numbers down so I can give it to the Nissan guy. I know they will bend me over with the reprograming with a 100 service charge for 3 minutes of work.

I am just looking for a stop-gap for the next half year and was looking to see if anyone used this thing before.

For 30 bucks I bought it and will try it when it comes in and report back. If it works and I have to use the thing every couple weeks, I may say F the whole sensor thing, sell them, and just use the tool.

What I was looking for was info about if the thing actuall works or is it a scam.
Last edited by allisojh on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:58 am

hard to say if it works, but what I can tell you is that there is not part of the procedure to initialize or reset that causes the TPMS light to flash as far as I remember.....If it is an OTC tool, i'd trust it, but it looks like a juper with the trigger to me....Hope that helps

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:02 am

it's a jumper tool with a trigger.... same as a paper clip, but easier. If you interrupt the circuit 10 times in a minute with the ignition in the run postion and engine not started, the horn will beep and the hazards will flash. At that time you are in the self learning mode and you can go around the vehicle starting with the driver front and change the air pressure in the tire slowly for 30 seconds and the hazards will flash confirming it as each TPMS is learned. The order of learning is D/F, P/F, P/R, D/R. You can search for the vid that shows the Nissan self learn process, I don't know if it really works, I saw the vid and don't remember the site it was on.... I hope this helps, I had my local dealer do the re-learn on mine. They were nice enough to do it for free while I had it in there for my sending unit replacement.

Tech

Postby Tech » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:06 am

the hazards blink as you successfully reg each sensor, but nothing blinks when you clear the sensors and go into registration. Also, with factory tools, one enters reg mode, the other "forcer" transmits to each sensor as you go around - 2 tools...

Storm4.0

Postby Storm4.0 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Dorman says you can do it with 1 tool, you don't need the transmitter activation tool. You just follow the procedure I was refering to, but you still need a scan tool from what their vid states on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJdon-rqQEg

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:43 pm

I did exactly what the directions said step by step and everything went well.

I was driving 40 miles an hour for about 8 minutes waiting for the light to stop blinking. at about 8 minutes the light went SOLID and it actually made a long continous beep (which startled me). then the light remained ON.

Now it no longer flashes, it just stays on.

I tried it again, got the light continously blinking for about 8 minutes into a 40 MPH continous drive and it did it again and the light remains on.

Who knows? All i can say is everything went just as the directions except the final result. Light is on and there was a 10 second continous alarm sound.

Any tech guys know what it means?

I am betting the alarm is saying someone is trying to F with the system or it can't reset becuase the receiver itself is shot. my new theory is its not a sensor, its the receiver itself.

The black piece of electrical tape is looking better and better.

All tire pressure is 38lbs exactly with a digital meter.

freak2180

Postby freak2180 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:48 am

Im having Issues with my wifes TPMS also. Sometimes it will never come on and other times it will start flashing after about 5 miles of driving then stay on solid.........Tire presures all read 38 psi with a digital meter also. I have just learned to ignore it in hopes that someone will figure it out one day............Lord knows Im not going to the Stealership with it.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:17 pm

I'd have to say that re-registering them one more time (so they're not mixed up in rotation) then replacing just the one sensor thats bad is the way to go. That way you won't have to pay to mount and dismount them all either, just $20 or whatever to break one bead (don't even have to take the tire off) and re+i sensor, and initialize. If you replaced them all, you'd never know which was bad. If you replace just the bad one, you could have 3 good spares for the future.

I've also never know the TPMS system to beep....I've done 100's of initializations and registrations. Do you have the LE nav screen?. I've also never known the BCM to mess up tire sensors in R51's (once in a Altima, but that's it)

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:56 am

I have the SE. No nav screen.

I have 4 new sensors. When I take my truck in for the ECM recall next week, i will give them the sensors and have them figure out which on is bad and change it out and relearn them. hopefully I don't get hammered too bad.

Yes... it did beep. sound came right out of the cluster too right from the light. It startled me actually.

It reminded me of a computer that knows someone is tyring to hack it and alarms.

Everything went great up until the light should have gone off. Instead it made a 10 second long continous beep and the light stayed on.

Tech

Postby Tech » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:00 pm

crazy! hope it works out....you might have to drive around until the solid light comes back on after initializing to figure out which sensor is bad, but it shouldn't cost you more than $20 + $30 i'd say...

Maybe ask them what they charge for an inside patch/plug and light reset as comparison for pricing

allisojh

bump

Postby allisojh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:53 pm

bump for anyone that has tried this POS tool and got the same alarm from the dash cluster.

I have new tires, new rims, new sensors and this POS tool didn't do shiz.

my wife's odyssey initiated and registered the new sensors all on its own. No tools, no trip to the dealership, no nothing. I put on the new tires, rims and sensors, drove it for about 20 seconds over 30 mph and the TPMS light went out. When I checked the dash unit, it showed me each sensor was working and what the pressure was.

Why the F does Nissan put this POS sensor out? I am guessing so you HAVE to go back to the dealer so they can activate them.

Total BS especially when they want about a hundred per sensor. I got OEM sensors for 50 bucks per.

sickens me that I have to give these guys money.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”