Add a simple kill-switch to ignition?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

BigEz

Add a simple kill-switch to ignition?

Postby BigEz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:31 am

Well after only 3 months of my Pathfinder Project, I have received a bunch of compliments on it…. something that never happened with Frontier or wife’s 2014 Grand Cherokee. Downside, I have already been broken into. Which is a bi-yearly event around here.

Houston, Texas.. land of the window smashers. This was done in full view of video.. and their total score was an IPhone charger and a flashlight. .. they don’t care.

Anyway, I want to add a simple kill-switch to ignition. I know an aftermarket alarm package will do that, but if possible I would rather just a kill-switch. Back in the day, we would just (-)ground the main coil. But I’m not sure how to do it on a Pathfinder. I would prefer something simple,like a toggle. Any ideas??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:48 pm

With the factory immobilizer system, you shouldn't need a kill switch. Your key has a chip in it. If someone tries to start the vehicle with one of your keys, the ECM will not activate the fuel pump and there will be no spark. All it will do is crank and not start.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:20 am

Installing a kill switch is a good idea, something we use to do back in the 80's when I owned a car alarm company. As a side business we also repo cars for extra money. Does sounds a little two face, install alarms by day and repo cars by night. :lol: Anyway even back then and still today repo men use what is called a wand and it will get by the chip in your car. Just be sure to hide the kill switch in a good place.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 am

you could set it up to stop the fuel pump from running with a switch. its a pretty easy setup to do. of course you could just pull the fuel pump fuse too.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Yes, in the past I relighted on the key chip, but I have been told they are able to crack that now. I was told a lot of thefts are coming from ghost keys. Any parking attendant or car wash guy that gets your key can clone it in less than 5 min.

The fuel pump is a good idea. I will need to see what fuse that is.

Return to “R51 Electrical”