05+ AC lines leaking do to grit and sand

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Npath

05+ AC lines leaking do to grit and sand

Postby Npath » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 pm

Has anyone heard of AC lines that lead to the rear are getting damaged by sand?

Someone at Nissanforums.com is having an issue with that. He's mentioned a zap strap was used to prevent rattling. Well, with this, it flares open a rubber wrap, allowing sand and dirt in and eventually rubbing holes into the aluminum pipes.

The area he's mentioned is near the rear drive train. Basically, check all the rubber wrap hangers that you see and look for sand inside.

This may not sound like a big issue, but the entire body has to be removed to access this, loss of 3 days, and not covered under warranty.

Gray

Re: 05+ AC lines leaking do to grit and sand

Postby Gray » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:46 pm

Npath wrote:Has anyone heard of AC lines that lead to the rear are getting damaged by sand?
I believe it; why I bought an 'S' model without those extra things to fall apart. :wink:

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:51 am

I have heard a couple times of problems with lines to the rear HVAC unit and the lifting of the body needed to replace them. I hadn't heard why though.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:20 pm

08Datsun wrote:I have heard a couple times of problems with lines to the rear HVAC unit and the lifting of the body needed to replace them. I hadn't heard why though.
I think I found the future problem on my SUV. It has 2 rubber tubes zap strapped together, forcing a flare up at one or both ends of the tubes. This allows sand and dirt in rubbing into the aluminum making holes.

I don't know, I may just cut them all off and leave it bare. I had the SUV undercoated and they did cover the flared up section, so I may be safe.

I'll have to take a closer look but it'd be hard since the rear drive train is in the way.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”