Need a little help...

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

PhogSVT

Need a little help...

Postby PhogSVT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 am

Hey gang, new guy here. New to the Nissan brand as well (possibly) which brings me to several questions I have and I thought this might be the best place to start. I'm considering buying my first Nissan and it's a 2004 Pathfinder. Easily one of my favorite cars on the road! So here's the deal: I've got my eye on a 2004 LE 4WD with 146K on the odometer. Car is what I would consider to be in "Good" condition. Vehicle will need a new windshield (large crack from side to side), tires sooner than later (40% tread or so) and will also need some leather uphostlery TLC on the drivers seat. Other than that, exterior and interior are both clean with no visible damage and a clean CarFax. All features work properly and the vehicle drives nice and straight. Vehicle is priced at $9300.

Which brings me to my first question: In doing some research (KBB, Edmunds, etc) this would appear to be substantially higher than what the vehicle is worth (I know, it's worth what someone will pay for it.) I've also looked at similar vehicles on AutoTrader's website and $8k -10k seems to be the norm. But in looking at AT cars and CL cars in my own area, none of the vehicles are selling for that. I've seen several local vehicles priced at $8k that have been for sale for 6 months and they're nicer than the one I'm considering purchasing. I've also looked at Edmunds TMV (True Market Value) numbers of what people are actually paying and it's just over $5K. So with that all said, does anyone have any idea why the price range would be so significant depending upon whose number(s) you're looking at? And if this was your vehicle that you were trying to sell, what would be a price point that you would start out at? Lastly, what would you consider a reasonable offer that wouldn't be seen as low-balling? I know it's a bit difficult with the few details that I've provided but I would certainly appreciate any input.

TIA

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Seems like a shit-ton of money for that truck. I have an '08 with 105k miles in mint condition and would be surprised if I could get $12K. I have found over time that Edmunds pricing is the most realistic. KBB private values aren't bad either but their trade/retail numbers are goofy. I think $5k-$6k is in the right ballpark on this for a private seller. If it was super nice with great tires and needed nothing maybe high $6k. A dealer would probably try to get $7k-$8k for it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 pm

I always found KBB was a bit high on the retail numbers, as well. I think NADA's site is a little more realistic:

www.nada.com

PhogSVT

Postby PhogSVT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. They seem to confirm what I was thinking in that this vehicle seems to be priced priced too high. I should have clarified in my first post that this is a dealer I'm talking to about the truck. I checked it out yesterday and when looking at the vehicle, I asked what they had done to it as far as re-conditioning, etc. was concerned. Dealer said that nothing had been done to the vehicle. Said that it was exactly as it was when they purchased it at auction. That said, $9300 still seems like too much. Does $7000-$7500 seem like a lowball offer?

slavabon

Postby slavabon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:10 pm

6 grand is the most I would consider offering on that vehicle, even if it was in mint condition. Or 6500 if they take care of the tires and glass.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:12 pm

i wouldnt give more than 6...

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:16 pm

What kind of dealer is this? A reputable dealer will not sell a vehicle that will not pass a safety inspection (windshield!!). This almost sounds like one of those "finance anyone" lots where the cash price can make no sense to your and me, but someone with no credit will sign on the line. I think $7k is all the money given the condition and frankly I would pass. There has to be better examples of these out there for less money.

PhogSVT

Postby PhogSVT » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:51 pm

skinny2 wrote:What kind of dealer is this? A reputable dealer will not sell a vehicle that will not pass a safety inspection (windshield!!). This almost sounds like one of those "finance anyone" lots where the cash price can make no sense to your and me, but someone with no credit will sign on the line. I think $7k is all the money given the condition and frankly I would pass. There has to be better examples of these out there for less money.
Funny you mention that. It's a little Mom and Pop joint that a 24-25 year old guy just opened. And in Kansas, you don't need an inspection. Either way, all of the replies have been helpful and I appreciate all of the input.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:53 am

PhogSVT wrote: Funny you mention that. It's a little Mom and Pop joint that a 24-25 year old guy just opened. And in Kansas, you don't need an inspection. Either way, all of the replies have been helpful and I appreciate all of the input.
You may not have an inspection to register the vehicle (we don't here in OH either) but there are still safety requirements for any vehicle. Selling a vehicle that meets those minimal safety standards is usually rolled into the license requirement for a dealership. If you were stopped by the police they can issues citations/warnings for safety violations and a cracked windshield is one of them.

not on the rug

no way

Postby not on the rug » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:17 am

PhogSVT wrote:Thanks for the replies. They seem to confirm what I was thinking in that this vehicle seems to be priced priced too high. I should have clarified in my first post that this is a dealer I'm talking to about the truck. I checked it out yesterday and when looking at the vehicle, I asked what they had done to it as far as re-conditioning, etc. was concerned. Dealer said that nothing had been done to the vehicle. Said that it was exactly as it was when they purchased it at auction. That said, $9300 still seems like too much. Does $7000-$7500 seem like a lowball offer?
No way they paid that at auction. Walk away from that car. You don't know what you're getting and they'll never come down to what the car is actually worth.

PhogSVT

Postby PhogSVT » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:26 am

skinny2 wrote:
PhogSVT wrote: Funny you mention that. It's a little Mom and Pop joint that a 24-25 year old guy just opened. And in Kansas, you don't need an inspection. Either way, all of the replies have been helpful and I appreciate all of the input.
You may not have an inspection to register the vehicle (we don't here in OH either) but there are still safety requirements for any vehicle. Selling a vehicle that meets those minimal safety standards is usually rolled into the license requirement for a dealership. If you were stopped by the police they can issues citations/warnings for safety violations and a cracked windshield is one of them.
Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the input.

Return to “General Automotive”