roof rack rail

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Npath

roof rack rail

Postby Npath » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:20 am

Has anyone removed the roof rack off their 2006 Pathfinder?

I've always imagined the rails would be bolted down, but been told by a body shop that the headliner needs to be removed in order to take the nuts off from the rails.

Reason I want it removed is because I have cracks in the rain gutters/channels and rust near the rails.

This will be the second time it'll be in the shop for this issue and they won't warranty it again because they say it's a design flaw, not workmanship. They don't wanna take the rack off, too much work.

If this happens a third time, I'm gonna have to sell.

While at the body shop, a newer pathfinder was in the shop a second time for the same issue, but far worse than minor paint cracks and surface rust.

2 days later, a X-terra was in for rain channel repairs. Apparently, some Frontiers have the same issue also.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:02 am

Looking at the part diagram (see link below), it looks like you remove the screws in the end caps, remove the end caps, and the rail attaching bolts cam be removed from the top rather than from under the headliner.

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... nlPartList

forgottenzone

Roof Rack

Postby forgottenzone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:18 pm

I have an 08 and i have removed the roof rack all together. Everyone use to say its bolted from inside. Not 1 bolt was from inside. everything is from outside. you need to remove the plastic covers on the ends and the bolts are in there.

Last edited by forgottenzone on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npath

Postby Npath » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Cool! Thanks.

In the middle of the rails, there's another part that meets the roof. How is that part removed? Is the plastic snapped together like the front and rear? I don't recall it being 2 piece.

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Its been year and a half. If i remember all the plastics popped up.
I ripped it all off and threw it all out.
what i did to plug the wholes i used clear silicone and found flat plastic black automotive plugs that is used for door panels etc, the push snap in kind i had used my thumb and screwed them into the threaded wholes with after filling the wholes with silicone. almost 2 years no problems. and since my pathy is black you cant see them at all.

Npath

Postby Npath » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 am

Aahh.... OK. I was thinking of putting the bolts back in with clear silicone under the bolt head.

I think your way would give it a cleaner look. Didn't think of using plastic plugs.

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:58 am

Do you guys think Plasti dippin' the rain channel would prevent moisture from entering the cracks in the paint?

I'm thinking of applying the stuff myself when I get the Pathfinder back from the shop. The estimator really expects it to crack again.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:44 am

Npath wrote:Do you guys think Plasti dippin' the rain channel would prevent moisture from entering the cracks in the paint?

I'm thinking of applying the stuff myself when I get the Pathfinder back from the shop. The estimator really expects it to crack again.
Have you looked through the sticky thread "bedlining the roof gutters mod?" You could probably use plastidip and have it work, but I'd sand off all the chipped/cracked paint before doing so. I used a thick coat of bedliner on mine & it seems to be holding up quite well. I'm sure plastidip would be just as effective.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 am

NVSteve wrote:
Npath wrote:Do you guys think Plasti dippin' the rain channel would prevent moisture from entering the cracks in the paint?

Have you looked through the sticky thread "bedlining the roof gutters mod?" You could probably use plastidip and have it work, but I'd sand off all the chipped/cracked paint before doing so. I used a thick coat of bedliner on mine & it seems to be holding up quite well. I'm sure plastidip would be just as effective.
the bedline is probably a little more durable though.

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 pm

akley88 wrote:
NVSteve wrote:

the bedline is probably a little more durable though.
Yes, I heard bedlining would be a great idea. But for some reason, the estimator @ the body shop doesn't think so. Perhaps he thinks the problem is under the 3M filler where the spot welds are joined @ the roof and side.

His body shop had to replace the roof as it was rusted pretty bad.

In my case, it's just paint cracking, so I'll give it more thought with bedlining or plasti dippin'.

kevinthefro

How to Remove Roof Rack

Postby kevinthefro » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:39 pm

The front and rear mounts have caps that pop off. From the front, stick a small screwdriver in the vertical gap in the front cap and pry it apart sideways.

Same for the back cap. Front and back mounts have 3 bolts each.

The center mount engages the rail with a slot. Once the front and rear bolts are removed, slide the rail forward and lift.

Two bolts hold the center mount.

Npath

Re: How to Remove Roof Rack

Postby Npath » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:55 am

Awesome!

Thanks Kevin!

Npath

Re: How to Remove Roof Rack

Postby Npath » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:18 am

Would anyone happen to know the thread size and lengths of the bolts?
The weather here rains on and off and wanna install short bolts with silicone under the bolt heads.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:22 pm

M6 x 12
1.0 thread pitch

Npath

Postby Npath » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:46 am

kevinthefro wrote:M6 x 12
1.0 thread pitch
Thanks.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”