Dealership blues

Discuss your dealer buying and servicing experiences here. And just the facts mam, let's keep the libel to a minimum please.

Moderator: volvite

kpath

Dealership blues

Postby kpath » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Hello all kpath here I'm new to the forum. But I have a question?

I just purchased 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE model with close to a 100k on it about two weeks ago. I notice while I was driving home after my purchase the oil pressure gauge
would not move from high. So I call the service department as I was instructed to do so by my sales rep.

So I took the truck in and was told they had to order the parts to fix the problem, so it will take a day because I purchased my pathfinder from VW dealer. So the parts came in I took the truck back to Service. They did the work so everything looked good at first got close to home and notice that everytime I stop the oil pressure gauge would go to zero.
So I call them back they told me to bring the truck back in. So this time them gave me a loner vehicle and diagnosed that they issue is the oil pump.

So now a whole week went by where I thought they was fixing the problem. Come to find out from the service guy that management was having a issue with authorizing the work because of cost. Now I have a 30 day 1000 mile warranty through the dealership if something is not functioning within that time they have to repair with no cost to me.

Now I also have an extended warranty for 36 months there trying to get them to take some of the cost of the repair though I'm still in my thirty day period.

Now my question is should go comfront them about unfair practices or see what the warranty company will do first and imput would be helpful or should I get my lawyer on it?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:35 am

Sorry for your bad luck. However I would not stand by and wait. I could see this taking over a month to get figured out and then you would be out of your 30 day warranty. I would call a local Nissan dealership, ask how long it should take to replace the oil pump. Then I would be visiting the dealership where you purchased the Pathfinder and demand them to fix the vehicle by a certain time. Don't just talk to the service rep, I would want to speak with management. Good luck.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:09 am

first, welcome to the forum! :)
next, did they do an oil pressure test?
that's probably the only way to diagnose a bad oil pump.
also, there were different sending units for the oil pressure guage in the early models ('05, 06 vs the later models, I think).
is it possible they installed the wrong one?
oil pumps are super rare to fail.
dealerships seem to nearly always fail. :(

kpath

thanks

Postby kpath » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks for your imput I will get on it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:31 pm

The early oil pressure switches were three-wire type and the gauge actually showed the oil pressure. Around 07 the changed to basically a "dummy gauge" and I believe the switch is a single wire type. There's also a big difference in cost between the two types of switches; the early ones being a lot more expensive.
As far as the warranty, the extended warranty would likely consider the problem as "pre-existing" and would not cover the problem. Since it was in the 30-day warranty, they are entitled to fix it under that warranty. Tell them to fix it and provide you with a loaner in the mean time, if they haven't already. If they continue to give you the runaround, report them to the Better Business Bureau in your area and it wouldn't hurt to make a report to Nissan's customer service hotline at 1-800-NISSAN-1. The next step would be to talk to a lawyer.

kpath

Postby kpath » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:52 am

smj999smj wrote:The early oil pressure switches were three-wire type and the gauge actually showed the oil pressure. Around 07 the changed to basically a "dummy gauge" and I believe the switch is a single wire type. There's also a big difference in cost between the two types of switches; the early ones being a lot more expensive.
As far as the warranty, the extended warranty would likely consider the problem as "pre-existing" and would not cover the problem. Since it was in the 30-day warranty, they are entitled to fix it under that warranty. Tell them to fix it and provide you with a loaner in the mean time, if they haven't already. If they continue to give you the runaround, report them to the Better Business Bureau in your area and it wouldn't hurt to make a report to Nissan's customer service hotline at 1-800-NISSAN-1. The next step would be to talk to a lawyer.
Update thanks again smj999smj they did give me a loaner. Apparently they called Nissan, they are VW dealership I bought my path from. They had the wrong kit on there. So once it was change it was fine and they did some other services for free also. So I'm good now.

Return to “Praise or Postal?”