Tire decision time

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Tire decision time

Postby disallow » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:07 am

Morning everyone!

I always like to have my tire issues resolved before first snow. That was not in the cards this year. So here we are.

I have decided not to go with the encumbent Bridgestone Dueler REV02s. They did OK, but the wear has been less than stellar. Admittedly, this could be due to my alignment issues too (see my other thread here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=9859). However, it looks like Bridgestone is discontinuing them, so maybe I'm not alone in my choice...

I am considering the following tires for my 05 Pathy SE 4wd:

Firestone Destination A/T (can get these for less than $600 installed)
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
General Grabber A/T2
Goodyear Assurance TripleTred

The last one is not an AT tire, but I have had really good experience on other vehicles (not an SUV). It really works well in rain, and on ice it has been excellent so far. Don't really do any off-roading, but am hesitant to go this way as we've never had anything but AT tires on this rig. It just wouldn't feel right I think... But I am willing to consider if someone has something good to say about 'em.

Anyone out there have anything against the above?

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I don't have too much knowledge on all the tires listed. However the GYSA are great tires. I currently have duratracs on my Pathfinder but when the time comes to replace them, I'll be putting GYSAs on. I had them on my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They performed great in all conditions. They also have plenty of options in both P and LT ratings, even up to the load range E in the LT. You might consider this as I know you pull a large trailer.

As for the Goodyeear assurance tripletred, my sister has those on her car and they do perform well in rain and light snow. They are like you mentioned not an AT and seem to slide around a bit more on gravel roads than say the GYSAs.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

not on the rug

tires

Postby not on the rug » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:03 am

I've read mixed things about the firestones. the silent armors are supposed to be a good tire. I was leaning towards the generals, but I talked to a couple of tire people and they all told me about them blowing out, including one local 4wd drive shop where they installed them, and the guy blew one out about 2 miles down the road. I don't really know much about the triple treads.

personally, I went with the toyo open country at2. freaking great tire all across the board.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:09 pm

I have deferred this decision, and found some decent used tires. They are LT265/75/16 BFG ATs.

They should be good for the rest of the winter, based on what I can see of the tread. Got them for $80, so if not, no biggie. It will cost more to have them mounted than that! :)

Here is a link to them:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca

Funnily enough, the guy I bought them off of replaced them with General Grabber AT2s, which are on sale for $160/tire at Canadian Tire this week.

Thanks for the input.
t

1armyguy

Postby 1armyguy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:32 pm

I have run the General AT2's since last winter and they have been a great tire. I was actually able to pull a full size crown vic, police car out of a snow bank up a hill that had packed snow from previous storms, without any issues at all. They didn't even spin break traction, that I could tell. The police and my wife were very impressed, as I was too. They have been doing great and also, do excellent in the rain as well.
Good Luck with your choice

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:57 pm

I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires on my Jeep. I held out for nearly a year waiting for General Grabber AT/2 which were sold out everywhere I looked in the size I wanted. So, I settled on the GWSAs and have no complaints.

The Grabbers received great reviews and granted I have not experienced them personally but the Goodyears have lived up to their hype. Jeeps are notoriously loud with the boxy styling and lift/tires resulting in all kinds of wind and road noise. I was skeptical of the claim of reduced road noise but am pleasantly surprised there was a noticeable reduction at highway speeds.

I've taken them out in some snow in the 6"-8" depth and they performed fine. However, I never really had much issue with the Jeep in the snow regardless of the tires that were on it at the time. The biggest benefit I can identify is reduced road noise. With that being said the tires perform well for an A/T in snow, rain, and mild offroad conditions (farm fields, etc).

DreamerzCC

Postby DreamerzCC » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:26 pm

I got some Cooper ATP's from Discounttiredirect.com for my Xterra and almost got them for the Pathy last month. 55K Warranty. Great tire on and off-road. 25K on them so far.

Pics after some light offroading and then clean!

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Bought my Pathfinder in late March with a brand new set of Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus on it. They still had the little rubber nubs sticking up. Been a decent tire. We had some snow and ice around here the last few weeks and with no one around I tested their traction capability in Auto mode. No complaints. No loss of traction that I could tell. The Auto mode worked well. I wouldn't go taking these things in 12 inches of mud but they work fine for gravel trail use to fishing spots and snow. And the "plus" is nice as it offers some wheel protection from curbs.

http://www.buumer.com/product_images/u/ ... 7_zoom.jpg

JimsPath

Postby JimsPath » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:16 pm

Some new roads to try out this year now. They seem almost as quiet and smooth as the AWs that were on it.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”