Catalytic Conv Crapo!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

djbit

Catalytic Conv Crapo!

Postby djbit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Who in San Diego can let me borrow/rent me their 2005 Path cats for a smog test? It cost over 1240.00 to replace both just for parts.

My Path passes the sniff test (barely) but the check engine light comes on for cat inefficiency. If I reset the light, it comes back within 20 miles of driving it. When I tried taking it within the 20 mile period, the smog tech said the computer had not registered all the pararmeters to be able to pass and that I needed to drive it like 100 miles.

I tried using non-foulers on the rear O2 sensors to make the check engine light stay off (mileage improved) but the smog tech said those aren't allowed. Every time I fail I have to pay 50 bucks!

156K miles, All new O2 sensors, new plugs, Oil, air filter, injector cleaner and still get the CEL. It drives pretty stout and idles fine.

Anyways, this is a long shot, but if any one in SD happens to have a set laying around I'll be extremely grateful and happy to borrow/rent them for a day just to pass the smog. I'll have to save up for new cats. My reg expires in two weeks!

I'm sorry for the ranty tone but this just sucks.

Thanks!
Last edited by djbit on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:40 pm

what about just using o2 sensor spacers to stop those codes from coming on

djbit

Postby djbit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:49 pm

akley88 wrote:what about just using o2 sensor spacers to stop those codes from coming on
I did that. Those are the "non-foulers" I refer to. It worked as the CEL did not come back but the tech said those were not legal and failed me on the the visual. He actually got under the car to see! The Path again passed the sniffer test (barely).

I just can't believe how they rape us here in CA with all these CARB regulations. Yeah, we may have cleaner air here but to whose expense:

"Catalytic converter production requires palladium or platinum; part of the world supply of these precious metals is produced near Norilsk, Russia, where the industry (among others) has caused Norilsk to be added to Time magazine's list of most-polluted places." (This is a topic for another day ...)

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:30 pm

djbit wrote: Yeah, we may have cleaner air here but to whose expense:
Not really. Cali as a whole still has some of the the worst air quality in the US. Imagine if they didn't have the rules!? Hopefully it makes a difference because YOU pay for it! Can you find Cats at junk yards? I would think anything up through 2012 would fit.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:13 am

skinny2 wrote:
Not really. Cali as a whole still has some of the the worst air quality in the US. Imagine if they didn't have the rules!? Hopefully it makes a difference because YOU pay for it! Can you find Cats at junk yards? I would think anything up through 2012 would fit.
part of that pollution come from china.

what about these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-2007- ... 9e&vxp=mtr

djbit

Postby djbit » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:20 pm

akley88 wrote:
skinny2 wrote:
part of that pollution come from china.

what about these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-2007- ... 9e&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with those cats is that they are not legal for sale in california. California cats have "higher" standards which probably means they use more platnum/paladium material than others. They also require some type of code stamped on the cats which the tech will check for. AND they won't ship to California either.

I'ved tried all sorts of exhaust online stores and they all end up pointing me to the stealer. Perhaps, I can get someone at the stealer parts department to offer their employee discount...shit, got nothing to lose.

I'm also going to try some yards this weekend but from what I've read it is illegal to sell "used" cats.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks guys!

djbit

Postby djbit » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:34 pm

skinny2 wrote:
All would be fine except we don't live in a vacuum. Pollution travels with air currents so you can do all the regulation you want but that won't do much if China's/Mexico's polution ends up in your city.

It's not that I'm against rules, but I think CA should get rid of the CARB portion. A car that passes the sniffer test should be good enough! I can add a 60.00 dollar CAT after my cat and have the cleanest car around...makes no sense in my head.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. Typical liberal regulations... they're a pain in the ass and just move the problem from one place to another.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:03 pm

"I tried using non-foulers on the rear O2 sensors to make the check engine light stay off (mileage improved) but the smog tech said those aren't allowed."

Installing spacers on the rear oxygen sensors will not affect gas mileage. They have no affect on fuel management. They are only used by the ECM to determine if the catalytic converters are working efficiently.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:09 pm

smj999smj wrote:"
Installing spacers on the rear oxygen sensors will not affect gas mileage. They have no affect on fuel management. They are only used by the ECM to determine if the catalytic converters are working efficiently.

i thought the o2 sensors were to check to make sure the af ratio was correct and you were getting a 'complete' burn, and would therefore affect af ratio which would then affect gas mileage...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:27 pm

The front oxygen sensors are used by the ECM are for fuel management. The hotter the exhaust, the leaner the mixture and the higher the voltage sent to the ECM. A rich mixture will be close to 0 volts whereas a lean mixture will be close to 1.0 volts. The ECM uses this input from the front oxygen sensor(s), along with other inputs, to determine how long it needs to open the fuel injectors. The rear sensors are strictly used for monitoring purposes to check the efficiency of the catalytic converters and have no affect on fuel management or driveability. It compares the rich/lean cycling frequency of the front oxygen sensor to that of the rear oxygen sensor. An efficient catalytic converter will have the rear sensor cycling frequency to be approximately half that of the front oxygen sensor. If the ratio is close to 1:1, then the converter is not doing its job at breaking down the exhaust emissions and the ECM will set the catalytic efficiency code(s): P0420 and/or P0430, depending on which bank(s).

calinissan

Postby calinissan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

djbit -- I was astounded to learn over the weekend exactly how crazy the smog test can get. I was always under the impressions that the only thing they do is stick a sniffer in the tail pipe and test it for dirty air, but this is only part of what they do. I learned that they do visual inspection of all the smog related parts, to check for modifications or alterations from stock. This includes the O2 sensors for spacers, modifications to any part of the exhaust or fuel injection system, as well as the actual cats, which are individually stamped and tied to the VIN number.

For our Pathfinders specifically, I also learned that while stamped and registered after-market cats (which are often much more affordable than OEM cats) are allowed on many cars, there are no after market cats approved for our Pathfinders in California - AT ALL, despite its availability in the marketplace (for use outside Cali).

Additionally, the agency tasked to regulate and enforce the Cali clean air laws frequently send smog altered dummy cars for smog tests to facilities to "test the testers" to see if they are complying with proper test procedures. If they fail, these facilities could be fined or lose their license. So the facilities are anal about performing smog tests correctly.

It's crazy.

You can also look up whether Smog Testers in certain areas require "Basic" or "Enhanced" smog testing:

http://smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Zip ... ookup.aspx

Lastly, you pointed out that you drove the car 20 miles after resetting the CEL. The testers said you have to drive it 100 miles before the reset indication is cleared off. I've been told by 2 techs that it happens somewhere between 20 and 30 miles. It might be worth a shot.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”