Cold Temperature Starting Problem

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BlueBerryPath

Cold Temperature Starting Problem

Postby BlueBerryPath » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Guys. I have same problem with my Path 0+6 since 3 winter.

It seem that the battery is the problem. Battery have a is to low power for the north and our winter. Psecialy if the car did't run during 1+-2 weeks. So it doesn't start. The second year dealeer change it with their basic battery and this year it went again down, 3 week ago.

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:36 am

Yeah, my pathy didn't start when the temp dropped to -48 raw. i was out of town on an install for work, and i dont have a block heater on my truck.

after it didnt start that morning, i am seriously trying to get my hands on a block heater. My dealer here is a serious frickin d-bag, i mean its bad. so, it seems like 3rd party is the only way to go for me.

but i have to say that the pathy cranks over with no problem to about -30!!! hopefully she never needs to see temps like this again, but i want to be prepared just in case.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:03 am

when it was -20 last week in Chicago. I started my PF about 1hr before I had to leave for vacation. When It was warming up I packed up the gear.
After 1hr of running the PF did not even heat up. When I got on the highway that's when the temp razed and hot air blew out the vents

detectiv254

About your Pathy

Postby detectiv254 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 am

I dont know, i do not have any problems. It was meaby something with the battery or something with the bujii. I think that the real problem was that water washed your engine connections a little. nothing bad i would say. i'm happy about my pathy. :mrgreen: :?: :!: :!: :?: :) :wink:

sushi1

Starting problems

Postby sushi1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:34 pm

I've owned 5 PF so far and have been supremely satisfied with them. Except for regular maintenance I have had zero problems so far. I currently have a 2009 PF. Twice in the last 3 weeks I have not been able to start my truck when the temps hit -5C. The starter turned over very well but it wouldn't kick in. Finally got it started the first time ran out and got some something for moisture in the gas- not methal hydrate as it will screw up you fuel injectors. No problem until this last cold snap- mind-you -5C isn't that cold.

The 2nd time this happened I called a tow truck. Again starter turned over very well. He hooked me up to cables and it started right away.
Spoke to the Nissan Dealer. They said most likely the battery. I had it tested and was told it had more than enough cranking power -set at 250 amps. Called Nissan back and they said there was no point bringing it in right now because their computer analysis won't pick anything up because it is now starting up, Best to tow it in next time this happens.

Any body have any idea what's going on here or having this problem? Thanks

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Starting problems

Postby eieio » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:55 pm

sushi1 wrote: They said most likely the battery. I had it tested and was told it had more than enough cranking power -set at 250 amps.Any body have any idea what's going on here or having this problem? Thanks
your symptoms are that of a battery in poor condition.
the issue most likely IS the battery :wink:
also, on a related note:
the negative battery cable clamp may be stretched, and not tightening down onto the battery post, even though the pinch bolt is tight (common problem).
also, the positive battery clamp & post may be corroded (common problem).

sushi1

Postby sushi1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks. I checked the posts - all tight. Bought this PF last fall and it had a new Nissan approved Cadium battery in it. Any other thoughts?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”