05 trans bypass question

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 am

myriad46 wrote:I admit it's a tight squeeze, but in a dozen oil changes, I've never received any life threatening injuries. Wonder if a batch went out, with a bad stamping on the skid plate, leaving sharp edges.

My toughest time is the angle that I have to reach in to get to the filter makes it difficult to break it loose. I can't seem to get a good initial grip on it. Once it's spinning; no problem.
I agree, never cut myself yet, and I use this hole every oil change.

Sometimes if I can't get leverage on the filter, I reach around the skid plate on the passenger side. I'm a pretty big guy (6'2", 280), and my guns are huge. :wink:

Also, a rag can help you get the torque you need on the filter head. Or buy the K&N oil filter for $15, it has a 21mm hex welded on to the end of it... :)

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:34 am

I usually reach around the side too, because, if you don't and go through the access hole, there is no where to get the filter back out without the oil pouring down your arm.

I'm way to frugal (read, cheap) for a $15 oil filter.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:50 am

I always end up taking the entire shield off. I can't stand having oil running down the inside of the shield and dripping out in the garage later on if it misses that little oil filter drain guide.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:41 pm

myriad46 wrote:I usually reach around the side too, because, if you don't and go through the access hole, there is no where to get the filter back out without the oil pouring down your arm.

I'm way to frugal (read, cheap) for a $15 oil filter.
I hear ya, the suggestion for K&N was more tongue in cheek.

You can get the filter out, but there is a trick! And lots of swearing helps.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 pm

myriad46 wrote:I admit it's a tight squeeze, but in a dozen oil changes, I've never received any life threatening injuries. Wonder if a batch went out, with a bad stamping on the skid plate, leaving sharp edges.

My toughest time is the angle that I have to reach in to get to the filter makes it difficult to break it loose. I can't seem to get a good initial grip on it. Once it's spinning; no problem.
Injuries have never been very bad, but as you said with the angle to reach the filter, I would end up pressing my arm and hand pretty hard against the edge of the hole. Yeah, mine had some sharp spots left in it, plus I'm a fairly big guy.

ljandjen

Postby ljandjen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:42 am

Did this today, thank you for the pics and explanation.. like money in the bank!

shaggyT

Postby shaggyT » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:16 pm

Is this really as simple as swapping two hoses?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm

i have a problem with the logic/pictures of this thread on the change. maybe i'm just not understanding it, but in my pathy it looks like there's more (like the ext cooler in front of the radiator) to the routing in mine than simply moving hoses.

the way i did it assures me that all i did was simply bypass the radiator heat exchanger, because i connect the inlet and outlet hose at the bottom:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=9717

now some people don't seem to like adding another connector to this external transmission line, but i'd take that over keeping it connected to the radiator.

shaggyT

Postby shaggyT » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:08 pm

doctahjones wrote:i have a problem with the logic/pictures of this thread on the change. maybe i'm just not understanding it, but in my pathy it looks like there's more (like the ext cooler in front of the radiator) to the routing in mine than simply moving hoses.

the way i did it assures me that all i did was simply bypass the radiator heat exchanger, because i connect the inlet and outlet hose at the bottom:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=9717

now some people don't seem to like adding another connector to this external transmission line, but i'd take that over keeping it connected to the radiator.
Yeah, I'm still confused. I'm gonna pickup a socket set and wait till the weather gets a little warmer(it's beyond cold here). And then I'm gonna take a look at it myself and try to make sense of it.

Silverhair

Bypass parts list

Postby Silverhair » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:15 am

About to do the bypass - is there a good parts list (joining tee, clamps, rad inlet/outlet)?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Bypass parts list

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 am

Silverhair wrote:About to do the bypass - is there a good parts list (joining tee, clamps, rad inlet/outlet)?
what year? :?

Silverhair

Bypass parts list

Postby Silverhair » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:53 am

Sorry - 2005 LE 4X4.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 am

eieio wrote:
bellwilliam wrote:just did the bypass. easier done than describing it. but I did not use any additional parts. no coupler, no hose clamp (reuse original), no zip tie.

you have 2 hoses -
hose A - from external transmission cooler to radiator (passenger side)
hose B - from radiator (driver side) to engine block.

take hose A off radiator (passenger side) and plug into engine block
take hose B off engine block and plug into radiator (passenger side), forming a loop within.

reuse all the old hose and clamp. length is perfect.

Before

After
follow this diagram (from page 1 of this thread)
no additional parts necessary on an '05

Silverhair

Postby Silverhair » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Did this today. Fingers crossed as I have a 400 mile ride tomorrow.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”