Oil pressure sensor

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Godzirra

Oil pressure sensor

Postby Godzirra » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Hello all. Well, I've owned my R51 since new and have been very well maintained. I recently drove it 1400 miles back to my house from my condo in AZ. On the road trip, I noticed my oil pressure gauge working as it should(meaning the needle sits somewhere in halfway point on the gauge and moves upwards when I accelerate.) for the last 3 days of driving I've noticed the gauge was stuck on the high position. My oil was changed after my trip. I'm taking it in to the Stealership on Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone had any issues with their oil pressure sensor going out as well.

My Pathy is a 2005 LE. I've searched the forums and read a bit. I was just curious if any of you had any problems. Thanks for reading.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:18 pm

You are about the third person in the past few days that has posted about this. Its your Oil Pressure Switch, and on your 05 it has a 3 pin connector. Replacements can be had from the dealer for about $100, or Rockauto for about 1/2 that.

t

Godzirra

Postby Godzirra » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Thank you for your input, sir :D

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Godzirra wrote:Thank you for your input, sir :D
be careful the stealer doesn't rob you over this........
if you have an independent shop to work with, it will cost a whole lot less
if you have basic mechanical capabilities & tools, you can probably do it yourself :wink:

Godzirra

Postby Godzirra » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:37 pm

@ eieio - I'm not 100% sure if it't the switch that is bad or the sensor. I'm normally a DIY and have the right tools and such, but I am just pressed for time. It's just easier for me to have someone drop it off and have the shop work on it. Not a big deal if it's going to be a few hundred dollars or less.

I've used the search function and read quite a bit about replacing the sensor...I just didn't think about the switch. My vehicles rarely give me any problems and this is the first major issue (not quite major in my opinion) that I had came across. The PF is not my daily driver in the winter. I do want to keep it running and up to speed for the next person. (I'm thinking about donating it to a family member.) I'm just knocking on wood that the milk shake doesn't happen. Fingers crossed!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Sensor = switch. Its the same part. You need a 24mm deep socket to remove.

Godzirra

Postby Godzirra » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:37 pm

@ disallow - Thank you for that clarification!

bealzabub

Replace it your self save money

Postby bealzabub » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:24 am

I just did mine. It is very easy. Best if done with an oil change. Otherwise make sure you have your finger ready to plug a hole! Quick hands will help avoid large amounts of oil in your face if done without draining oil. (like I did)

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:53 am

So what happened Godzirra? Did it get fixed? Same thing happened to me this morning.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”