Crackling sound on all wheel drive

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

waelkd

Crackling sound on all wheel drive

Postby waelkd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:16 am

Good day,

When i shift my awd gear 1 step down and i make a right or left turn i hear a loud crackling sound.

and when ever i try to shift the awd gear one or two steps up from N it doesnt move. i feel as if its stuck.

Any idea what it might be.

Thanks

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Does this "crackling" sound eminate from the front wheels or from the shifter area?
Also, are you saying that the car does not move when it's in 2wd?

waelkd

Postby waelkd » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:12 am

Hooligan wrote:Does this "crackling" sound eminate from the front wheels or from the shifter area?
Also, are you saying that the car does not move when it's in 2wd?
crackling sounds comes from right under the car. all the way from the middle.

The car moves good on 2wd, on 4h it does the crackling sound, and shifter not shifting to 4l and 2l

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 pm

It sounds like you have more than one issue going on here. Remember that the left/right gear is all located in the front of the car and that is where the noise should be coming from. Your problem sounds like badly worn universal joints in the front axles, specifically the ends closest to the wheels. Get the front wheels off the ground. Turn the wheels sharply to the left or right and spin the tires by hand while listening for sounds. Spin the tires slightly back and forth and check backlash, look for movement in the tire with no corresponding movement of the axle. There should be no backlash.
The other issue can be diagnosed by removing the driveshaft to the front differential to see if the problem goes away. If the car still will not move then you have issues in the transfer case which I suspect.
Last edited by Hooligan on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waelkd

Postby waelkd » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 am

Thank you so much for your help . much appreciated will check on this asap

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”