Shifting from 4hi to 2hi

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: BFE, Ohio

Shifting from 4hi to 2hi

Postby skinny2 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:49 am

I've been having more and more trouble getting my PF to come out of 4wd. It has been slow to shift back to 2hi since I bought it but nothing really problematic at first. It used to be you had to slow down a bit or coast. Then last year you pretty much had to come to a complete stop. Now this year it is picky about shifting back even after stopping. This morning it took three tries of flipping the switch and it finally came out after taking a sharp turn. I don't think it's switch related because the dash shows the 4x4 lights blinking in the dash so it seems to know it's supposed to be doing something. I'm guessing something in the hubs or the actuator in the transaxle?

I know I've seen others complaining about this in the past and I was curious if anyone knew what the problematic part is?


User avatar
NmexMAX
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:35 pm
Location: Northern New Mexico

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:39 am

Mine has a hard time going back to 2H from 4L. Usually just takes a little bit of reverse momentum and then it's fine.

I hardly use 4H. Usually just Auto if I'm going to do that.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Re: Shifting from 4hi to 2hi

Postby NVSteve » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:11 am

skinny2 wrote:
I know I've seen others complaining about this in the past and I was curious if anyone knew what the problematic part is?
I don't think there is a problematic part. I use 4hi quite a bit, especially in the winter. When switching from 4hi to 2hi, the front wheels on the 4x4 indicator will blink until I make a turn. In other words, if I decide to switch out of 4hi on the freeway, it won't be until I exit the freeway and make a turn that the indicator will actually show a solid 2hi. Mine's been like that since day one, and I know it's normal because we had a thread discussing it at one time.

User avatar
DreamerzCC
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:28 am
Location: Hoover, Alabama

Postby DreamerzCC » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 pm

My Xterra doesn't have that problem. Of course it doesn't have an AUTO feature. I can shift into 4HI at up to 61 mph and can shift back to 2HI without having to make any turn. When switching from 4HI to 2HI the indicator will blink twice and be back in 2HI. 4LO has to be stopped and in neutral but I suppose that is the same as the Pathy. I wonder what would cause that issue on the Pathfinder or why it would be any different?

User avatar
oreogaborio
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: Shifting from 4hi to 2hi

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:31 pm

skinny2 wrote:I've been having more and more trouble getting my PF to come out of 4wd. It has been slow to shift back to 2hi since I bought it but nothing really problematic at first. It used to be you had to slow down a bit or coast. Then last year you pretty much had to come to a complete stop. Now this year it is picky about shifting back even after stopping. This morning it took three tries of flipping the switch and it finally came out after taking a sharp turn. I don't think it's switch related because the dash shows the 4x4 lights blinking in the dash so it seems to know it's supposed to be doing something. I'm guessing something in the hubs or the actuator in the transaxle?

I know I've seen others complaining about this in the past and I was curious if anyone knew what the problematic part is?
Is it any more responsive if you're on a loose surface like snow/ice or sand?

I've heard some people say that if you're having issues going from 4hi to 2hi that it may be a U-joint issue.

How many miles on your u-joints?
Any humming/vibration on accel/decel?

skinny2
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: BFE, Ohio

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Well it's been behaving more like usual the last few times. Kind of forgot about this thread! U-joints are original, everything at 105k. Runs as smooth as new all around.

alien_bug
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Postby alien_bug » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Same problem here. I disagree with it being normal to turn , slow down or back up to get it to go from 4hi to 2hi. My 05 PF had no problem going in and out of 4hi at speeds up to 60mph until recently. Now, I have to slow down and turn or hit a bump while turned.

So, if there are more ideas what this could be I'd really appreciate it!!!

User avatar
ShipFixer
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 am
Location: Arlington, VA

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Turns will keep it from shifting back. I don't hit the switch till the wheels are straight on dry pavement.

IIRC the ABS sensors need to detect as little difference in speed at the wheels as possible. Or that's what it seems like.

Usually when people complain here about trying to get out of 4WD it's because they didn't have the wheels straight and that fixes the he problem...

User avatar
FLiPMaRC
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:15 pm
Location: NJ

Re: Shifting from 4hi to 2hi

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 am

NVSteve wrote:
skinny2 wrote:
I know I've seen others complaining about this in the past and I was curious if anyone knew what the problematic part is?
I don't think there is a problematic part. I use 4hi quite a bit, especially in the winter. When switching from 4hi to 2hi, the front wheels on the 4x4 indicator will blink until I make a turn. In other words, if I decide to switch out of 4hi on the freeway, it won't be until I exit the freeway and make a turn that the indicator will actually show a solid 2hi. Mine's been like that since day one, and I know it's normal because we had a thread discussing it at one time.
Mine behaves exactly the same way. I have a 2012 with 20K miles. I was switching in and out of 4WD numerous times over the weekend.


Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”