New to suspension

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

unmeloy

New to suspension

Postby unmeloy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:15 pm

so... took my car in yesterday to have a road force test done on the wheels to make sure they are not bent (experienceing some hwy speed vibration). all is fine but they found a leak in my front pass strut. will be doing the work myself and am looking at the rancho quick lift for the front. my question is, what should i do for the back. i like the lifted lookm but dont even know where to start. will probably get airlift 1000 bags for the back, but want the lift to be even. any suggestions? btw i have used the search field, but still kinda confused. also need to keep the price low. i will barely have the money to do the ranchos in front. but will have to save up if i plan on doing the rear. suggestions? ride quality? handling? ect. 09 LE 4.0

MLEACH87

Postby MLEACH87 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:32 am

Call Greg at PRG Products. They are out of California and specialize in Nissan Titan,Frontier,X, and Pathfinder. I ordered Bilstein 5100 ADJ shocks and rear spacers (2") which are billet and less likely to break or crack. I got my complete set up for dirt cheap. Greg answers the phone everytime I called him and was very knowledgable. Even if you dont want to use his product call him. Super nice guy.

http://www.prgproducts.com/ <---His website (very informitive)
(530) 885 3830 <---His Number (PACIFIC TIME)

GOOD LUCK!!

XVTer

Postby XVTer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:09 am

I'd also recommend PRG - Everything I've got from Greg has been been top-notch and he's actually out there in the desert using his own products both on his truck and his wife's.

Also, look in the for-sale section here - doctahjones has some adjustable bilsteins for sale for a great price.

8)

**EDIT** Just saw you replied to unmeloy's thread - that'll work for ya, too.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:31 pm

bump?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:43 am

unmeloy wrote:bump?
Why the bump, does that mean you called Greg, or?

MLEACH87

Postby MLEACH87 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:48 am

Okay. I will state that, in my opinion, do spacers. If you are on a budget, they will save you a few bucks. Typically ride quality is sacrificed a little, but seeing as your doing the airlift 1000 it should take care of that. I have 2" rear spacers and I will be doing my airlift soon. Ride isn't bad with only spacers, just a little bouncy in the rear. I did the Bilsteins upfront and set them on 2.0. I have been very impressed so far. I have also heard good things about the Rancho QL. I think they are preloaded in the spring so that helps with install. I think a 2" spacer will do you fine. If you plan on upgrading in the future just do some el cheapo polyurethane spaces for now.

MLEACH87

Postby MLEACH87 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 am

i like the lifted lookm but dont even know where to start. will probably get airlift 1000 bags for the back, but want the lift to be even
Just thought I'd on to this. The Airlift isn't going to give you lift. The airbags balloon outwards (<--->). They actually don't even touch the top or bottom of the spring.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:28 am

MLEACH87 wrote:
i like the lifted lookm but dont even know where to start. will probably get airlift 1000 bags for the back, but want the lift to be even
Just thought I'd on to this. The Airlift isn't going to give you lift. The airbags balloon outwards (<--->). They actually don't even touch the top or bottom of the spring.
I disagree. Got at least an inch of lift when I installed my airlift 1000. Maybe more.

MLEACH87

Postby MLEACH87 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am

How many miles on your vehicle when you installed? It most likely corrected slightly worn/sagging springs.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 am

Less than 60k miles.

These things sagged from new.

MLEACH87

Postby MLEACH87 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:59 am

I can agree with you on that.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 am

It does give very slight lift. Everyone on here has seen perhaps as much as 1", depending on the air pressure, as have I.

But, they're no good for offroading, as we all know, they hurt wheel travel more than anything.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:59 am

MLEACH87 wrote:How many miles on your vehicle when you installed? It most likely corrected slightly worn/sagging springs.
They lift the vehicle with no load. I make sure to have my alignments done with my usual 7 psi in them or rear camber is off. I've had one shop let air out of them for some reason and had to bring it back. At 20-30 psi for a heavy load they lift the truck about an inch.

They do touch the upper and lower spring seats, which is part of why it comes with a polyurethane spacer for the top. Otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point to the bags ;-)

These are essentially for load-leveling, not just prevention of bottoming although that's mainly why I got them. From a tuning perspective I use mine to maintain correct static height or "preload" in the suspension.

MLEACH87

Postby MLEACH87 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Sorry for sharing the misinformation. I was basing it off of my research when deciding to do Airlift. This is on Airlifts Q&A site
Q. Can air springs raise or lower my vehicle?

A. No. While adding air can cause your vehicle to ride an inch or two higher, air springs are not designed to raise your vehicle above factory height.
Also...The airbag will hold your vehicle whether the airbags touch the spring seat or not. The air expands the bag around the coils. Which is why it leads to a more comfortable ride. It prevents the spring from compressing by expanding out into the spring. The bushings are just added support.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:50 pm

NmexMAX wrote:But, they're no good for offroading, as we all know, they hurt wheel travel more than anything.
If you let all the air out though, they allow the spring to work as normal.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”