Tranny fluid change

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

allisojh

Tranny fluid change

Postby allisojh » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Looking for advice on transmition fluid change.

1. Dealer or a local tranny/oil change shop

2. drain and fill what you can or the full flush where they flush it under pressure to get all of the old fluid out?

I have 83k on my pathfinder now. Did the bypass at 50k. Absolutely no shifting problems whatsoever.

I heard some bad things about the full flush as some of the gunk that develops can loosen up then strip then cause major problems when if left alone the gunk sticks like glue.

i just don't want any problems due to a tranny fluid change.

Need some advice on what to do.

Thanks!!!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 pm

I think most around here stick to the drain and fill. I did my first at 60k miles and the fluid looked/smelled fine. Did the second at 90k and again looked good. I'm at 108k now and still shifting great.

Pretty much anyone can do a drain/fill on these. Very simple just make sure the correct spec fluid is used.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 am

either simple drain & fill, or better yet, fluid exchange by machine without the high pressure.
be sure to use OEM fluid or a fluid specifically approved for your truck.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:17 am

i did the poor mans flush. i switched to royal purple because the fluid my owners manual called for was compatible with royal purples. also avoid reverse flush machines if you go to a dealer because the filter is just a metal screen.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:13 pm

akley88 wrote:i did the poor mans flush. i switched to royal purple because the fluid my owners manual called for was compatible with royal purples. also avoid reverse flush machines if you go to a dealer because the filter is just a metal screen.
How many qts of Royal did you use ? I just did a drain and fill With 5 quarts and want to do the poor mans flush my self. With just the 5 qts I can already tell it is shifting smother and the converter isn't as indecisive @ low rpm cruising ( specifically 1100rpm at around 35-40 mph I could feel it not locking up all the way & no I don't have contamination and I do have an aftermarket rad)

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:04 pm

just did my second drain and fill on my 06 Path and my first on Frontier..easy as changing the oil.

I used Valvoline Max Life...no problems at all.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”