Good replacement struts/shocks? (for 06 SE Offroad edition)

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

porksoda

Good replacement struts/shocks? (for 06 SE Offroad edition)

Postby porksoda » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Well I just purchased a 06 SE Offroad edition Pathfinder. I am pretty sure it needs new shocks/struts because it has caused the front tires to wear very odd. They have like a very choppy wear pattern on them.
Looks like it has some White/Red Rancho shocks on it now. I am wondering if I could just put any brand/kind on it?
This Pathfinder is for my wife to just do regular computing around town. As far as I know it all factory height.
Thanks alot for any recommendations in advance!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Good replacement struts/shocks? (for 06 SE Offroad editi

Postby NVSteve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:21 am

porksoda wrote:Well I just purchased a 06 SE Offroad edition Pathfinder. I am pretty sure it needs new shocks/struts because it has caused the front tires to wear very odd. They have like a very choppy wear pattern on them.
Looks like it has some White/Red Rancho shocks on it now. I am wondering if I could just put any brand/kind on it?
This Pathfinder is for my wife to just do regular computing around town. As far as I know it all factory height.
Thanks alot for any recommendations in advance!
You may also want to have your alignment checked. I'm actually running Monroes in the rear & have been really impressed with them. I'd have to dig through paperwork at home to find what model they are, but they were the only shocks I could find that fit and were in stock anywhere in my city. You might look at the adjustable shocks as well. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the info for those.

daytona675

Postby daytona675 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 pm

There are alot of folks here on the forum who swear by the bilstein 5100 or 4600 series shocks & struts. KYB makes a direct factory replacement with better than factory performance also, the Excel-G. Something alot of people dont think about, but are an issue on this chassis platform is the sway bar links on the front swaybar. Replace them also as they tend to get really stiff with age and can affect handling. Mine made a big difference. Also look at your front sway bar to frame bushings. there are posts on here about an updated design where they are split at the corner rather than the middle against the frame. And if all else fails or you do alot of towing, look into the Airlift 1000 kit (air springs that fit inside your rear coils) They can help stability issues and hauling heavy loads or alot of people.

I know this sounds like a lot, but it all adds up to a good handling/riding truck when you're done

Goliat6288

Postby Goliat6288 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:15 am

would the airlift 1000 help with the harsh ride in the back? or would that be a sturt/coil problem?

ive been told that the ride in the 3rd row feels like my tires were at 70 psi when they are only at 40psi.

daytona675

Postby daytona675 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:44 am

if you're loaded down, (using your 3rd row?) you may be bouncing off the bump stops on the rear frame. The airlift would help for sure if thats the case. (I consider 5+ people 'loaded down') think about it like this...avg person weighs...lets say 150 lbs, x5=750 lbs. throw in some luggage or another person...close to 1000 lbs! ( yes i know if the're kids they dont weigh that much...just an example LOL)
Even if im running empty (just my 200 lbs and a tank of gas) I keep my airlift around 5-10 psi. really improves the 'bounciness' of the back end. Go to Sams club for a couple bags of dogfood & other stuff and blammo...she rides like a caddy with the airlift

daytona675

Postby daytona675 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:54 am

You mentiond tires cupping/wearing funny...Keep in mind this thing has independent suspension at all 4 wheels. I rotate my tires every oil change, and cross the fronts to the rear (if you have a directional tire u cant do this) This reverses (to a point) the wear patterns that normal suspension geometry on an independent susp. does to tires. Some tires are worse than others. the stock BFG long trails were really bad. Yokohama geolanders too. The Nitto Terras not so much, but I lost about 1.5 mpg. Next set will prob be Bridgestone HL alenza or Firestone Destination LE2 (quieter, better mpg)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”