2008 Pathfinder P0171...chasing down the culprit

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bullet6236

2008 Pathfinder P0171...chasing down the culprit

Postby bullet6236 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Not sure of the next steps, have been reading and reading....

2008 Pathfinder V8 2wd

I purchased this vehicle used 4 days ago, took it overnight and had no SES light. However I did notice an excessive amount of metal contraction noise from the exhaust, seemed like the metal was getting too hot. Out of due diligence I took it to Nissan dealer 1 for a look over and they pulled P0420 bank 1 catalyst system efficiency below threshold , worked the diagnosis and replaced the cat (which dealership stated was cracked), exhaust manifold and gasket.

I take possession of the vehicle and 50 miles later SES light is on, P0171 bank 1 system lean. The truck goes back to Nissan dealer 1 for diagnosis and the suggested repair is MAF sensor. I buy and install the sensor, clear the ECM, reset the accelerator pedal, throttle valve and idle air capacity. Truck is running great, sharp and quick. Then 30mi later, SES back on, truck is sluggish and less responsive.

I dropped by Nissan dealer 2 tonight and they connect CONSULT for a quick check. Same P0171 code. Fuel trim bank 1 is 138% and bank 2 is 108%.

As a side note Nissan dealer 1 is the home shop for the vehicle and it has been serviced here before, yet the service advisor wouldn't send me the full records and said I needed to work with the service manager only. Seems like a red flag to me.

Also, seems to me that the cracked cat was caused due to the excess fuel in the system and that this has been a long term problem. Not something that just happened overnight

My questions:
Looking for confirmation that these problems didnt start a few days ago because I want to put the full press on the dealership where I bought the vehicle. However, what is the likelihood that Nissan dealer 1 broke an AF sensor or something similar? ie, that the purchase dealer honestly didnt know about the SES light.

Should I continue to let Nissan dealer 1 find the problem?
After two tries the truck has a new cat, exhaust manifold and MAF sensor...and still has the SES light on.

What is the worst case scenario for the repair outcome?
I need to prime the purchase dealership for the worst and also need to know how serious a situation this can morph into.

Thank you all.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:15 am

if you spent money for them to fix the problem and they did not. they need to take care of the problem free of charge for not properly diagnosing the issue.

bullet6236

Postby bullet6236 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks.

I called the dealership this morning and was told "you are obviously not happy with our diagnosis and work, perhaps you should take the car somewhere else."

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:49 pm

i wonder if the owner would like his employees talking to a customer in that way. might want to speak to the owner.

bullet6236

Postby bullet6236 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Funny you said that, one google search and bam....Im in TX, seems this group of dealerships is notorious.

http://g35driver.com/forums/south/34271 ... ty-la.html

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”