Best Brake Pads, Rotors and Brake Fluid for the pathy

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

NisZ

Best Brake Pads, Rotors and Brake Fluid for the pathy

Postby NisZ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 am

I tried searching for this but couldn't really find anything concise...

I have an 06 Pathfinder and I have a feeling I might need to change the brake fluid and get rotors resurfaced. Worst case scenario, I might just get a new set of rotors but I find slotted/drilled rotors to be a bit excessive for daily driving... but if I had to choose, I would only go as far as slotted.

That being said, what brand of pads/rotors/fluid do you techies recommend?

Thanks for the help!

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:17 am

when i need new brakes my plan is to use one of the ebc stage 5 kits front and rear with ss lines and stoptech str-600 fluid or something along those lines.

not on the rug

brakes

Postby not on the rug » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 pm

I really like the rotors from r1 concepts. I used the premium series on my pathy. And definitely ebc pads. I have the greenstuff on the pathy now

NisZ

Postby NisZ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 pm

Don't I have to run the EBC brake pads with their rotors? Or would it be ok use the green stuff on my resurfaced stock rotors?

daytona675

Postby daytona675 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Personally I use Valvoline DOT 3/4 synthetic.
I flush the entire system with every brake job on every car i own from the master cylinder down to the wheels. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, which is why older cars brake lines rust out (from the inside) and get pinhole leaks! So you gotta get that dirty old fluid out of there! On my motorcycle its an annual event every spring! (all that moisture lowers the boiling point of the fluid)

not on the rug

pads

Postby not on the rug » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 am

NisZ wrote:Don't I have to run the EBC brake pads with their rotors? Or would it be ok use the green stuff on my resurfaced stock rotors?
i'm certainly not a brake expert, but I've never heard of anything like that before. maybe someone else will chime in

akley88

Postby akley88 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:11 pm

NisZ wrote:Don't I have to run the EBC brake pads with their rotors? Or would it be ok use the green stuff on my resurfaced stock rotors?
you should be fine as long as the resurfaced rotors are still within spec tolerances

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm

I threw on the ProStop Platinum (from Pep Boys) a few months ago and am amazed that there's almost no brake dust. It's nice to not have to scrub my rims after a car wash.

NisZ

Postby NisZ » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:25 pm

Weird! It must just be a marketing gimmick from EBC....

My rims aren't nice enough to be scrubbing after a wash LOL they're stockers

dagall

Postby dagall » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:20 pm

I just did a brake change and used the Akebono ACT1094 ProACT pads on Reybestos Rotors. All went on very easy, no break in on the pads. Been driving for about a week and nice and smooth, no issues.

elpeede

Postby elpeede » Tue May 06, 2014 6:16 am

I've used EBC green stuff pads and disks on the front of my 2008 for a few years now (since the video below was produced). I've had no issues at all and absolutely minimal dust on the wheel rims. A massive improvement over the previous pads.

I did run it in to the shop and have the rear discs and pads replaced I guess they are none genuine parts. This has produced a slight irritating high pitched low frequency squeak until the brakes are applied. Very irritating. Also getting more dust off these on the rims than the fronts.

Details of my brake change below - the video is a couple of years old but the princiles remain the same. Only wish I'd had the time on my hands to do the rears as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4Es9LFh-E

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 06, 2014 10:23 pm

Personally, I like the Akebono Ceramic pads you can get from Rockauto.com. Last time I got them, they were around $100 to do both front and rears pads. They came with new slides and shims and Akebono has been an OEM brake supplier to Nissan for decades. FYI, the original pads are cermamic type. As far as rotors, for a daily driver, most name brands will work just fine. I used Wagner rotors with I got through Federated Auto Parts and have had no issues. Raybestos Professional Series pads and rotors are also very good.

NisZ

Postby NisZ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:39 pm

Nice! Thank you all for all the good info.

I pulled the trigger on the Akebono pads, as suggested by a couple of you, and will likely get a set of new rotors instead of messing around with resurfacing the old ones. I haven't decided on any one brand yet since I've also gotten good feedback on the Duralast rotors from Auto Zone :oops:

I really didn't want to mess with the fluid but I guess I might as well flush that old stuff out while I'm at it :(

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:02 am

I'm bored and have internet connectivity for once so I figured I'd reply. Good on you for going Akebono route. I have run Greenstuff on stock rotors and currently Yellowstuff on EBC solid rotors. The Green setup was junk and soft. The Yellow setup is a much better. I attribute this to my modifications, specifically the rolling stock. In a stock Pathy I'm sure the Green's work just fine. Next time I need a replacement I'm going full ceramic.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:07 am

I'm looking at new rotors as well as pads and see the Autospecialty kit with ceramic pads from Rockauto - anyone with feedback on those?

Or the Raybestos set:
Front:
Raybestos 980370 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor
Raybestos ATD1094C Advanced Technology Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set

Rear:
Raybestos 980462 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor - Drum in Hat
Raybestos ATD1101C Advanced Technology Ceramic Disc Brake Pad Set

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”