Trans shudder after bypass

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Suitor

Trans shudder after bypass

Postby Suitor » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:32 pm

A week ago my 05 Pathfinder started to shudder @ 40-60MPH under load. So after checking the site it sounds like I have the typical symtoms of the coolant trans leak issue. But here is the thing, I did the bypass 2.5 years ago when I first got the SUV with 75,000 miles. Now it has 102,000 miles. Is there anything else that could cause these same symptoms? I drained a little trans fluid and it looked normal. I also pulled some coolant and it normal as well. I am stumped.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:02 pm

It is possible for a trans to fail for reasons other than coolant contamination, obviously. So, it is possible you have a transmission problem. But I would also take a look at the U-joints of the driveshaft before condemning the trans, as they have been prone to failure.

Janie79

Postby Janie79 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:58 am

Mine got similiar issues, after checking u-joints (good) had it properly diagnosed and transmission turbine was shot. 1400$ to repairs, factory remanufactured turbine installed. Hopefully no more issues.

Suitor

Postby Suitor » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 am

I got underneath last night and took a look at the drive shaft and u-joints. I didn't see anything obvious. Everything looked normal and there wasn't any slop/play in the drive shaft or u-joints. I also checked the wheel bearings and everything felt solid.

It sounds like it's time for a visit to the trans shop.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:43 am

I took my Pathfinder to a local transmission shop a while back and the guy said Nissan trucks are no stranger to their shop – and he's only seen the coolant contamination a few times. He said they usually come in with just over 100K miles on the clock.

If it makes you feel any better, he said he owes much of his shop's success to the Jeep Liberty. They do so many that they can do them in their sleep.

Suitor

Postby Suitor » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:29 pm

I lucked out, after taking a second look at the rear u-joint with the rear wheels in the air I was able see the issue. The u-joint failed, all the bearings were missing out of one of the ears. I replaced both u-joints on rear drive shaft and everything is good. Now to figure out the pesky SES light for the P0420 code....

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Tue May 06, 2014 4:48 pm

My truck started exhibiting these symptoms this past Saturday. Checked the fluids, everything looks ok...

Shudders @2000 rpm between 40-60mph.

Have an appointment with stealership tomorrow to check everything out.

Thinking of canceling and changing out the rear shaft U-Joints this weekend?

Any advice??

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue May 06, 2014 5:02 pm

skywhr wrote:My truck started exhibiting these symptoms this past Saturday. Checked the fluids, everything looks ok...

Shudders @2000 rpm between 40-60mph.

Have an appointment with stealership tomorrow to check everything out.

Thinking of canceling and changing out the rear shaft U-Joints this weekend?

Any advice??
is there anything wrong with the u-joints?

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Tue May 06, 2014 5:11 pm

This was happening before at higher speeds and ended up being the front
shaft U-Joints. Changed those out and solved the problem. I should have changed out all 4...

I crawled under and tried to shake the rear shaft and it has very little play.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Suitor wrote:I lucked out, after taking a second look at the rear u-joint with the rear wheels in the air I was able see the issue. The u-joint failed, all the bearings were missing out of one of the ears. I replaced both u-joints on rear drive shaft and everything is good. Now to figure out the pesky SES light for the P0420 code....
It's probably a bad catalytic converter. It's a fairly common failure on the R51's.

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Wed May 07, 2014 5:36 am

Noticed this morning it's got a slight vibration at idle also. Changing u-joints this afternoon, fingers crossed!

Update: U-Joints installed and shudder is now gone, once I got the rear wheels off the ground it was obvious that the uj's were bad.

For me the rear was way harder that the front drive shaft.

Jthomas78

Transmission slipping/ shuddering

Postby Jthomas78 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:34 am

Ok, new member here, and first post.

Mine is doing a similar thing. Between 50-70 on highway on very slight incline and trying to slightly speed up, I get a heavy shudder/shaking. If I let off gas it stops immediately. If I let off gas and I press the gas again, but a little harder to get it to go into 4th gear instead of 5th, it will speed up fine. Also, if I press the overdrive off button, I have no problems.

It's only at 50-70mph, and it's only at low rpms that it shudders and shakes. I've got 167,000 miles on pathfinder. Had ujoint replaced around 85k. Just replaced radiator and had transmission drain and fill last week for preventative maintenance. There was no sign of coolant in ATF.

Seems like others have listed similar problems and seems like it's either ujoint or transmission problem here. Can anyone give me some help or feedback as to how this can be fixed or diagnosed?

Thanks for any help!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”