p1145 is it common for the vvt sprocket/ its self to fail

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

kcuhc

p1145 is it common for the vvt sprocket/ its self to fail

Postby kcuhc » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 am

is it common for a vvt sprocket or follower to fail? Nissan seams to think so. they also think I should pay them 2800 to change it.. ;/ as of now iv changed and swapped the vvt sensors p1145 stays put.
i did ohms test got basically the same readings threw 5 sensors new and used,.
all sprockets and cogs seam to be clean enough to read ..
cranksenor (pos) reads good. have yet to test the (ref)..
the solenoid actuator driverside seams to have a lethargic somewhat intermittent operation. but no code if I remember correctly (part off) I had continuity between its poles witch I thought I read wasn't supposed to be. so I just ordered 1 to test against.
I also was told the ex. cam sensor might misread so I replaced it ..it was cracking a slight bit so ;p..
the engine itself has a few slight leaks ,.oil cooler ., valve cover ,.rear main,. but other wise seams ok meaning im not losing oil that quikly from what I can tell.. . some1 hadn't changed the pcv valve for awhile and since I did ,, the oil doesn't blackn immediately anymore. but its dosent seam to have gummed up too bad , just a light moderate sludge . its working its self out nicely.. cept for this %#^%p1145 and no inspection sticker....

so I see this has been gone threw already many times . maybe im missing something you guys could point out . I have yet to test; oil pressure , crank(ref) sens.,..
im not sure I wonna get into a full system replacement cuz the engine has 140000 and (im broke) , removing that timing system means for me going down to head gaskets and done heads,, everything.. for an 01 black on black SE (no rust) what do you guys think any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

kcuhc

Postby kcuhc » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:36 pm

ssoo. im guessing by the silence I should buy a sticker and sell it asap huh? its a shame cuz it drives great. doesn't skip a beat ..

asnorton44

Postby asnorton44 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:28 am

Well your post is to hard to read so Ill just tell you this:

Swap your cam sensors from passenger to driver side and vice versa. See pictures below:

Driver Image
Passenger Image

Your code indicates the driver side cam is bad. If the code switches to P1140 then then you know the sensor is bad.

Replace with OEM Nissan part # 23731-2Y52A. If you are still getting the code after replacing the sensor you may have a bad intake timing control solenoid.

AND GET AN OIL CHANGE! :D

kcuhc

thanks for nothing

Postby kcuhc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:13 pm

as stated I swaped the sensors, code stays put. tested and replaced(as of now) the actuator solenoid.. same thing. and gee ya think I might change the oil hmm.. whats wrong with u forum snobs... you yell at ppl for not searching thew 100s if not thousands of posts of utterly pointless banter. and then dont even read the questions yourself..
so for you I ask again .
is it common for the vvt sprocket itself to fail? on the 01 ..,3.5 .., or do u have no idea .

kcuhc

update to my issue still vext .

Postby kcuhc » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:35 pm

so ive replaced the
vvt solenoid actuator
and the main chain tensioner
cleaned and checked crank pos and ref sensors
re sealed with new gasket and O-rings the oil cooler and changed the oil filter.. just cuz.
inspected what I could see of the chain seams fine..
but let back up a min.. before I got to the shop that day a tap started that I haven't heard before. a consistently gapped tap tap tap from what I can tell ,.;the vvt sprocket housing where the secondary chain lives..
so ffw to now .,all said and done topped off and all
the tap is louder at times and goes away too,., very inconsistent gapping in the sound as well..
the only thing I know of left to do is test oil pressure.. I just need to get an adapter fitting ..
any helpful ideas out there
im so avoiding the big T job.. especially if that's not exactly the problem .

thanks inn advance for your time

kcuhc

Postby kcuhc » Sat May 24, 2014 4:26 pm

so its all open an looks to me like very little wear for the mileage at 1st glance,. just heavy oil deposits .,, a cracked secondary chain link and busted tens. say otherwise . chain was hanging by a half a link,,
also I think a leaky vcts,.
big funn..;/.,. so ;p.

thanks Nissan for selling a timing system that cost more then a used engine that also probably needs timing overhaul 0r 1/3rd the cost of a new engine

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Sat May 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Good thing you caught it in time :shock:

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”