Towing 2 jet skis to the lake.. transcooler question..

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:15 pm

AZ_Path wrote:
I'm thinking instead of doing a coolant flush I should just replace the radiator when the extended warranty is almost up. I don't think the cost is that much different between coolant flush + new external cooler + bypass vs. new radiator. The only question is do I trust the new rad not to fail.
That's pretty much what I did. Swapped out at 90k. I went with the OEM just because....I'm a bit anal and wasn't happy with some of the aftermarket part numbers for the '08+. Given that the failure was specific to a production problem on the original OEM rads, I dont' think there's much risk of that particular problem on an aftermarket. Regardless, I'm guessing it will be five years or so before we start finding out if the "updated" OEM rads are problematic as well. That will be outside my window of keeping this vehicle since I'm at 115k now and doing 20k a year.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Fri May 23, 2014 2:26 pm

skinny2 wrote:That's pretty much what I did. Swapped out at 90k. I went with the OEM just because....I'm a bit anal and wasn't happy with some of the aftermarket part numbers for the '08+. Given that the failure was specific to a production problem on the original OEM rads, I dont' think there's much risk of that particular problem on an aftermarket. Regardless, I'm guessing it will be five years or so before we start finding out if the "updated" OEM rads are problematic as well. That will be outside my window of keeping this vehicle since I'm at 115k now and doing 20k a year.
If you go with an OEM, does it use the same design as the 2011 - 2012 models? Because those don't have this problem correct?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:31 pm

AZ_Path wrote:If you go with an OEM, does it use the same design as the 2011 - 2012 models? Because those don't have this problem correct?
Yes, it's supposed to be the latest/greatest. I confirmed the one I bought had the new part number. If you search around there are some discussions about which part # is revised.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Mon May 26, 2014 12:50 pm

loading/unloading a couple of jet skis on sand is not going to heat up the transmission much at ALL.

I monitor my temps with a Bullydog GT tuner. The transmission gets hot when it is under HEAVY load and SHIFTING a lot. Towing my ~5000lb enclosed trailer along a hilly highway will get my transmission up to about the 200-210 range. Maybe a little more if temps are nearing triple digits.

The hottest I've ever seen my transmission was up around 250 degrees. That was after towing along a hilly highway for a very long time, then up a damn mountain in 1st gear for about 3 miles.... then back down the other side (also 1st gear to avoid overheating my brakes).

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”