Power Steering Pump pulley alignment issue...

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

oreogaborio

Power Steering Pump pulley alignment issue...

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:05 am

Sooooo, my truck has had a belt squeak for some time and while replacing the fan clutch (again... this time with an OEM unit) I decided to take a quick look at the adjustment bolts for the power steering pump, per this page: http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article ... _belt.aspx

I didn't get to the two side bolts under the exhaust manifold heat shield, but I did put a wrench to the two bolts on the front that were much more easily accessible.....

Turns out, I THINK, one of the bolt holes (in the block) is stripped. :?

I'll probably leave everything as is and just live with the belt chirp, but has anyone experienced this sort of situation? Any easy DIY fix?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 am

if you can get access, you could use a helicoil to repair the stripped hole, or retap for a larger bolt.

If the other bolts seem to be holding it in place, I'd leave it.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:18 pm

As said, a Heli-coil could be used to repair the threads in the aluminum block, but the problem is the location of those holes. One would be hard pressed to get a drill in that location. The bolt under the exhaust manifold is a real pain to get to just to try and loosen! The two bolts should be plenty to hold the bracket on, however, without an issue. They are pretty stout bolts!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”