Shift Lock-out HELP! 2008 LE V6

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

SurfPath

Shift Lock-out HELP! 2008 LE V6

Postby SurfPath » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:01 am

2008 LE V6
Been having trouble shifting out of park over the last month. It slowly went from bad to now fully not working. I need to hit the manual button every time. I took a shot and replaced the shift solenoid at the base of the shifter and it still is not working.

Also checked: brake lights = OK, checked any fuse that seemed relevant and all are OK, battery voltage is fine...

Can I check the brake pedal switch using a multimeter? I have an older multimeter but am not all that familiar with it.

Any other suggestions?? Thanks, Pete

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:55 am

my truck did the same thing twice and it stopped. i was thinking of changing my brake switch if it happens again.

SurfPath

Postby SurfPath » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:28 am

Man, I'm frustrated!
So I spoke with the dealer and they told me 99% of the time (if not the solenoid) it is the brake switch. So I bought the non-returnable brake switch and put it in the car and it still is having an issue....

Replaced the solenoid and brake switch now. What else could it be????
Arrrrrgh

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:39 pm

That sucks. I have no clue what else could cause the issue. I know that one of our members is a Nissan master technician. I'll pm him about this
Last edited by JAHBLESSINGS on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tech

Postby Tech » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:15 am

when you are in park, step on brake - do you hear a click from the shifter? (solenoid trying to work?)
If you do, check for a mechanical stopage at the solenoid.
If not, check the adjustment on your pedal switch and make sure they're (if more than one) plugged in properly and the depth is correct (those 1/4 turn ones can back out if not installed just-so...

If not, check the two pins going to the shifer with a multimeter or test bulb to make sure you're getting 12v there when you should.
If you are, something up with the circuit. then;
- go to known good ground, check for power
- go to known good power, check for ground

(If you have I-key, there is also a diode between the ground side of the brake switch and the power side of the solenoid. - can use ohm meter or diode checker - possible but unlikely problem)

I suspsect all that is prob ok but still worth checking the basics.
IF you are missing ground on the solenoid check the PARK POSITION SWITCH. It's at the front, ahaead of the shifter stalk with a micro-switch attached, 2 wires. visible through the "window". It is that switch, based on you being in park that gounds the solenoid. From what i've read so far, i'd put my $ on that.

If that is indeed your prob, we can figure out if its the switch itself or cable tension or whatever from there. You might even try pushing forward on the shifter towards park and stepping on the brake to see if it helps.

Hope that helps.....Tech

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:49 am

thank you Sir for your input.

SurfPath

Postby SurfPath » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Holy cow this is great info. Let me digest it while sitting in the car.
I did get it to work earlier by wiggling and pumping the brake. I felt that I found a sweet spot when pushing forward like you said. I was thinking maybe I should put some grease on the sliding parts...

I'll run through your suggestions and get back. Thanks so much!

SurfPath

Postby SurfPath » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Tech, you rock.
There was something about pushing the shifter forward that helped. So I got in there and took a closer look at any mechanical obstructions. I found that I did not fully seat the new solenoid. After pushing it in it is working almost every time.

I'd like to hear more about the parking ground adjustment in case that might further help...

Pete

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm glad that worked out!
The parking ground thing isn't really an adjustment, it's just the ground side of the circuit for the solenoid. sometimes the buildup of fries, coke, coins, mouse poop or whatever gets in the micro-switch or the cable goes bad and puts tension on the shifter, in any case you lose ground.

Checking at the solenoid just tells you if you're missing power or ground -
if power look at fuse, brake switch, etc....
if ground look at the park switch....
your case was a bit trickier because parts had been replaced, so I recommend rechecking those first.

In the end, nice work for getting that one beat!

I'm not around on the forum much anymore, but i'm always "around"....don't hesitate to drop me a line anytime.

Tech

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”